wheel bolt problem

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

gubben

wheel bolt problem

Post by gubben »

When planning assembly of the rear axle I noticed that one of the wheel bolts was different - too small diameter at the base. I think it will work as it is, but...? Some feed back would be helpful...
/Thomas
Wheel bolt.jpg
Wheel bolt.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
sv4670

Re: wheel bolt problem

Post by sv4670 »

Hi.
I suggest you replace the wheel studs by drilling out the holes for the brake drum screws and then tapping them to 3/8" BSF. New studs can be made from screws- use grade R- with the head machined down. The plain part on the stud is made by drilling a hole in a bar , tapping a thread then turning it down the the correct diameter and cutting off at the correct length. This comes back to your original point. The diameter of the plain part can be found by measuring the diameter of the holes in the halfshafts.

The brake drum screws and wheel studs are all on the same diameter so it is relatively straightforward to do this work. Where the old studs were I drilled them out, tapped 7/16" UNF and fitted steel plugs. It is important to have strong wheel studs and this modification results in new studs in material not previously stressed.
Sorry but I cannot seem to make the pictures fit the page properly. [Ed. Pics resized]

gubben

Re: wheel bolt problem

Post by gubben »

Very elegant solution! Many thanks / Thomas