Brake cable to rear drum attachment

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

sv4670

Brake cable to rear drum attachment

Post by sv4670 »

I wonder if anyone can help with telling me how the cables for the rear brakes on the M type attach to the rear back plates? The bracketry on my car appears rather home made and I would be intersted to see how it was originally done. David Hinds has kindly supplied some pictures of the arnagement on his car. On David's car the cable is on the lower side of the axle and is fixed to the spring hanger by way of a bracket. On my car however the cable runs over the axle and is fixed to the brake back plate using the the top two of the 4 fixings. Over the axle will keep the cable cleaner but may foul the body - not that far on with the rebuild yet to test this.

Thanks in anticipation.
martinng

Re: Brake cable to rear drum attachment

Post by martinng »

I'm not sure about the M type, but the cables on my OHC Minor had the cables running over the axle which is incorrect and in particular it meant that the cables tried to lift out of the cable guides set on the top of the rear chassis cross member.
I have just spent today reversing the brake cam levers so that the cables run under the axle and sit down in the guides. Not sure if the M has similar cable guides, but it might be one thing worth checking and could give a clue as to the correct routing.
Martin
ian judd

Re: Brake cable to rear drum attachment

Post by ian judd »

The David Hinds way sounds right. The outer cable attaching bracket under the shock absorber plate is a simple strip with 3 holes and the cable goes under the axle.