Minor/M type wheels

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

sv4670

Minor/M type wheels

Post by sv4670 »

Three out of five of the wheels of my M type have cracked wheel centres. The cracks are around the weld that joins the central tube to the rear flange. Made for cheapness of manufacture it is barely adequate and I suspect the cracks develop as a result of the wheels gradually going out of true and wobbling down the road, the alternating sideways forces will soon fatigue the wheel and this is the result.

The question is how best to resolve the problem?

I have seen wheels with triangular gussets welded beween the central tube and the flange. This would certainly stiffen the assembly but is labour intensive to make the gussets. Another option I am considering is adding a weld to the wheel centre where the central tube enters into the flange. At this junction the central tube appears to be bulged out a little -presumably to set the correct offeset when it was assembled. A weld preparation would need to be machined at this point to ensure a full penetration weld. Again labour intensive.

I would be interested to hear of others owners' solutions to the problem.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Minor/M type wheels

Post by Ian Grace »

Derek,

This is a known weakness of Minor/M Type wheels. If you can find any early Wolseley wheels, you'll find that they have single-piece hubs which get around this problem. It is a pity that this improvement didn't make its way onto the Minor/M Type.

Like you, I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has expereinced hub failure and from anyone who knows of a suitable fix.

Have you spoken to Tony Margel? I'm sure he would be a good source of advice. tonymargel@hotmail.co.uk
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Several of my wheels have cracked hubs which have been repaired by welding. They have lasted at least 46 years to my certain knowledge. Just find an expert welder to repair them.

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

I have had five early Minor wheels repaired by Richards in Cardiff ,they brazed the outer joint and did a good job, I also had them respoked and powder coated.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Brazed or welded Simon? I would have thought brazing wasn't strong enough?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,
Sorry not sure but I think the backs were rewelded and the front seam brazed. Anyway Richards know what they are doing.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Indeed! :D
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

I intend to macine a weld preparation at the junction between the central tube and the rear flange then weld the parts together. Providing I can manage to make a good full penetration weld I think this should resolve the problem. Clearance for the welding torch is a bit tight but I think it is still possible to make the weld.

There seem to be an awful lot of design inadequacies with these little cars; brake back plates, now the wheels. My next project is to put the car back onto its axles and start on the chassis so I wonder what I shall find there.
garagiste

Post by garagiste »

Derek, when you get to the chassis loose rivets are common!
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

Hmmm, I don't have the facilities to hot rivet and I don't imagine many people do. I replaced a couple of rivets on the Ford with long fitted bolts and a spacer tube - to increase strain energy in the joint. The rivets weren't loose, I drilled them out to repair a part they were holding in place.