Brake cables again

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Q151-970

Brake cables again

Post by Q151-970 »

Ian,

Its been six months now since I last bothered the forum about the front brake cables on my SV. During that time I have built myself a new garage for the Minor and am now planning a concerted effort to resolve the problems raised last year and to get the front brakes working.

When we last spoke I think you suggested that my car, SV8159, might have had later(1932) pulleys and cables fitted perhaps as part of an Australian modification on an exported 1931 chassis and hence the problem of the 42.5" cables being too short. This seems to be a distinct possibility since the threaded rods to the end of the early front cables measure 5.25", a full 2" longer than the rear rods (and those on the new front cables from Ian Harris). I assume that this was a cheap or straightforward means of lengthening the cable with the later pulley arrangement since the additional length would surely not have been necessary for adjustment.

Now I have measured, (and measured again), and allowing 3/8" take-up at the brake cam lever it appears that I can just get away with the later cables at 44.25". Before I order these from Ian Harris can you let me know from your experience whether there is normally any rod projecting beyond the brass adjuster nut when the cables are fitted and adjusted. Perhaps you might also have some experience as to whether the brake cables stretch when fitted and used for a while.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Brake cables again

Post by Ian Grace »

First, the key thing is that the threaded rod should at least just protrude from the end of the brass adjuster, so that all of the brass thread is doing its job. Second, yes, the cables will stretch a bit in use. If the threads are 'in safety' through the brass adjusters when new, you'll be good to go in the long run.
Q151-970

Re: Brake cables again

Post by Q151-970 »

I've ordered new 44.25" cables from Ian Harris and will let you know how it goes.