FRONT AXLE WEDGES

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

sv4670

FRONT AXLE WEDGES

Post by sv4670 »

I understand there is a taper wedge fitted between the front axle and the springs of the vintage minor/ M type. This is to set the correct castor angle. My question is: is there a corresponding taper washer under the head of the bolts that clamp the axle to the front springs? If not the bolt head will be pulling down onto an inclined surface - unless the axle beam is machined with an inclined surface.
Thanks in anticipation.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: FRONT AXLE WEDGES

Post by Ian Grace »

No corresponding taper washer I'm afraid Derek. Not the best engineering job from Messrs. Morris and Kimber!

More importantly, make sure you fit the wedges the right way! Thick end to the rear.

Ian
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

Thank you for that. I shall have to make my own taper washers then - very bad practise to bolt down onto an inclined surface.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Well, I've never heard of anyone having bolts fail, so if they've been good enough to last 85 yrs on my car, I think I'll leave them be.........
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

The taper wedge angle is 3 degrees. I have made some taper washers to go under the head of the bolts but I am not sure it was worth the effort, anyway the bolts will be pulling down onto a flat surface. Not a brilliant photo but the washers are spot on. Ian Harris supplied the wedges.
Attachments
taper washer.jpg
taper washer.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a small point about these bolts. Like the U-bolts at the rear, these bolts were originally fitted with pairs of thin nuts to provide an element of locking.
plj

Post by plj »

I think Ian Harris does nuts & half nuts, if not sure Namrick do.

Philip