Spoke question

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

gubben

Spoke question

Post by gubben »

I need to replace some spokes. One spoke is also missing. I can´t be that difficult but in order to not make all typical beginners misstakes I turn, as so many times before :D , to this forum for advice.
Thomas
KartikeyaL

Re: Spoke question

Post by KartikeyaL »

There are many wheels for sale on and off on ebay, there a few right now, maybe you might get a deal .
gubben

Post by gubben »

KartikeyaL wrote:There are many wheels for sale on and off on ebay, there a few right now, maybe you might get a deal .
Yes I noticed that. The matter is that is´s a heavy postage UK - Sweden and, if seller don´t use Paypal I also have to pay bank transfer fee of £22. So sometimes I need to calculate three times the parts price :cry:

But I thing I manage to replace the spokes - the tension is the critical part I think. But with common "mechanical distraction" I hope to succeed.
Thomas
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm not an expert but there are a couple things I would offer for chaning the odd spoke.

Before fitting the new spoke, make sure any corrosion, dirt, old paint, etc. is removed from the hub and rim where the spoke and nipple are going to be seated. That way the spoke won't loosen when the dirt, etc. shifts.

You can gauge the right tension by pinging the spoke and comparing the note with the other spokes. The tighter it is, the higher the pitch.

Once you have the spoke installed, trim off the excess thread so it can't puncture the inner tube. I think the best way to do this is to fit the spoke, tension it, note how much thread needs cutting off, then remove the spoke, cut it and then do a final fitting. And remember to fit a new rim tape as well.
gubben

Post by gubben »

I must add to this "discussion" that Tony Margel (Mr Spokeman) is a really nice and helpful and have contacted me about this matter. You may already know that Tony can supply new rims and spokes and e.g. all you need when it comes to minor wheels.
Thomas
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thomas,

Tony is a close friend and great guy. Has a lovely M Type and attends our rallies.

Perhaps you might be able to join us at our Summer Rally in July? Always assuming that we HAVE a summer this year?!
gubben

Post by gubben »

Ian,
Very tempting, but you really must do something about the weather - soon! Hope you all know how to swim :D

Serious - I let you know about the rally in July! I have already desired to visit the PWMN :oops: rally in june. I´m in great need of knowledge and possibility to study Minor construction details. And, living here "alone" without Minor friends in miles (not even in the country as far as I know), makes the social part of a rally very important!

This forum is a great help and is a good surrogate, but yet just a surrogate, when it comes to meet Minor entusiasts.
Hope you can put the umbrella aside soon!
Thomas