A gearbox rebuild

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Sam Christie

Re: A gearbox rebuild

Post by Sam Christie »

Going back to the subject of the Derrington remote, is it possible that the gate seen on this 'Wolseley special' sold at Bonhams recently is an example of what is missing in the earlier pictures? Is the angle wrong? The boxing in of the remote looks grim but could it be hiding a Derrington remote?

Last edited by Sam Christie on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sam,

I have come to the conclusion that the Derringon was only ever intended for three-speed boxes. When fitted to a four-speed box, the gear lever fouls the right side of the alloy housing when reverse is selected, and my housing sows considerable wear on the right side, or perhaps it has been filed away to allow reverse to be selected. So I don't expect to find a Derrington with a 4-speed and reverse gate fitted. But I might be wrong!

Ian
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

I think the shift pattern on the gate in the 'Wolseley' picture above is unfamiliar so whatever it is,it is probably fitted to something out of the ordinary. I must say,even if the Derrington is not designed for a four-speed box it is still a very nice thing to have for a three speed.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Is this the ENV box as fitted to MG F Types? Perhaps it's an F engine and gearbox.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I think I'll keep the Derrington on the McEvoy - there is enough wear in the housing to allow reverse to be reached! Unless, of course, someone has a spare McEvoy remote kicking around in their spares box. :o
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
No McEvoy remote but do you want the cross-shaft before or at Pre-War Prescott 2013?

Regards,

P.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

That would be great thanks! Prescott will do fine!

Ian
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Ian if you want to replace the bearings in the course of the rebuild I notice that although the bearings are impossible to find in the UK they are not only readily available in the USA but reasonably priced. Sadly the postage quoted to the UK is inexplicably punitive. I understand three Consolidated 93216 bearings are what is required.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Very interesting - would be happy to bring a load over to Prescott in July!
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Ian, if some orders were forthcoming and you can manage to obtain a better deal (as seems likely) in the United States it would be a very good opportunity for members.

This is the strange pricing structure -

A set of three bearings from this supplier comes to £24.48 but there is a "Minimum Order Fee' of £10.52 which looks insignificant beside the astonishing £77.98 'Shipping' charge !!!

As it happens, I have a set already and it was the reference printed on the boxes which led me to search 'Consolidated 93216' revealing availability in the US. It is possible that stocks may be limited in the USA and it might well make sense for anyone with a 4-speed Minor/MG J2/ Wolseley gearbox to buy a set.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sam,

This looks like we should try to co-ordinate with the MMM Register as I can bring any number over with me - within reason. Leave it with me and I'll get it organized over the Christmas break. In the menatime, if anyone reading this would like a set, let me know and I can start assembling a provisional list.

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Slightly confused, are these bearings for the 3 or 4 speed box or both?

Regards,
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

You can definitely put me down for a set !

Ian
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

These bearings fit the 4-speed synchromesh and 4-speed non-synchromesh gearboxes. Sadly they are not suitable for the 3-speed.
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
Is it too late to get an extra set of these bearings. Thanks to Sam's photos I now find my box is a 4-speed all synchro, but at the moment it only wants to select 1,2 & reverse plus the gear lever feels like stirring a bowl of rice with a knitting needle!

Regards,

Philip