A gearbox rebuild

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: A gearbox rebuild

Post by Ian Grace »

I just registered with these guys and I can get brand new bearings from them for $13-50 each, post free.

So shall we get serious about co-ordinating an order for sets of three? I can bring them to the UK/Prescott/Peatling Magna. Who is in for a set? Maybe I should put this on the MMM forum too.

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

I'm a definite for one set.

Regards,

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

OK - about to order sets for Philip Butland and Ian Judd. Any more takers? I'll bring them to the UK with me - flying on the 12th.
plj

Post by plj »

Thanks Ian,

Stripped the box and had a fiddle, not sure what I have done but now have four forwards and reverse, an improvement!!

Philip
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Just as a matter of interest a contributor to the MG Triple M Forum on a theme entitled "M type 4 speed with Derrington remote" has put up this image -

I am not sure if it is a Derrington example but I noticed the similarities with the example which appeared earlier on in this thread fitted to a McEvoy.

I hope I can be forgiven for sharing the image above on the Triple M site.

Any more news of the gearbox rebuild by the way?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Sam,

The lower image of the McEvoy box is that fitted to Sarah Gibson's car that she brought to our Pre-War Prescott in July. It certainly does look very similar.

McEvoy adverts included remotes but I have never been able to determine whether they were of their own manufacture or if they were simply an agent for Derrington, etc.

My McEvoy definitely has a Derrington fitted, but who knows whether the car left McEvoys' with this one fitted.

No problem sharing the photo on the MMM forum.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Jeremy Hawke has taken a couple of new pictures of Sarah Gibson's car which he has put up on the Triple M Forum (Jeremy says the car is about 50 yards from where he lives). The photos show the remote without the 'upholstery' and it seems clear that it is the same design as the one on the Triple M Forum.

The design is cleverly minimalist but I cannot help thinking it would be rather greasy in use. With the exposed parts polished or chromed as appropriate it might look more stylish but I favour this Wolseley Hornet design for looks.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I agree Sam. The Wolseley one looks much more art deco!

But isn't that box a bit over-polished? Looks lovely, but I doubt it came out of the works with that fine finish.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

I think visible parts like this were probably quite well polished but to what extent is hard to tell. When you see the rather dull and tarnished finish on unrestored examples which have been well looked after it tends to be very smooth and fine as though the finish was very good to start out .

The image below shows an extremely early MG J2 fitted with a Hornet remote (presumably just before the familiar MG J2 remote was available).

The remote above does not shine like the chrome radiator shell or even the dashpots but it isn't unlike the finish in the restoration. Admittedly this is a 'press' car.By the way when fitted to a Hornet the little button on the side of the Wolseley remote presses on the actual starter button underneath which presumably made sense on a Wolseley Hornet .

This Wloseley Hornet remote came after the above design.

And the example below has had an MG 'turret' added.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Great photos Sam. Feel free to put an article together for the Magazine on remotes. I'm sure there would be much interest, and this sort of information should be shared beyond the forum. A similar article on gearboxes would also be most welcome. If you provide just the basic text and images, I can craft into Magazine format.

Ian
PeterWHills

Post by PeterWHills »

Hi Ian, I was looking at this despite being 3 years back so what happened? Did you strip the box or not? As you have seen from my articles it is not so difficult to sort out. The plastically deformed splines on the spigot shaft do not look serious, quite normal considering all those I have seen. The wear that needs attending to is more likely on the lay shafts. Some times they are seized on their bronze bushes that turn in the gear cluster instead. Replacing the bearings with sealed type is also good practice, especially the rear stopping oil leaking out. Let me know what you did.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Peter,

I just need to get a round tuit! Anyone got one I can borrow?!

Ian