3-Speed Gearbox Overhaul

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

plj

Re: 3-Speed Gearbox Overhaul

Post by plj »

Stellite, available as a welding rod for use with O/A or TIG also I believe as an electrode for arc. Very hard material containing molybdenum and cobalt if memory serves. Did play with it in my youth to alter motorcycle cams.

Regards,
Philip
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Also worth checking the condition and fit of the pin in the housing that acts as a pivot and stops the lever from turning in the housing. On my 4spd box they were so bad it was like stirring Christmas pudding.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

One small trick for stopping the gear lever rattling in the top ball cup is to find a piece of leather, cut a hole in it, and place it over the ball before you put the cover in place.... it also aids keeping oil IN the gearbox... 'slightly'..!
martinng

Post by martinng »

I know that this is a very old thread, but as I am also looking to do some remedial work on my Minor OHC 3 speed box I thought it better to add my comments here.
The issue I experience is that it is possible to move across the gate to 2nd gear without properly returning the 1st / Rev selector to neutral with the effect that 2nd cannot be engaged. I believe that if the end of the gear lever were a little broader in some way then it could not move across the gate without automatically putting the 1st selector to neutral.
So I would like to reshape the 'business' end of the gear lever, but need to know what shape / dimension it should be. This idea was floated in this thread, but at that time there did not seem to be a positive outcome. Is there anyone with drawings or dimensions of the lever end that they could let me have please so that I can get this work done?
Martin
martinng

Post by martinng »

On the thread "A gearbox overhaul" I found a picture of the three speed lever in original condition. It does look a bit like a raw forging, but nevertheless I superimposed this shape over a photograph of my lever and (engineers close your ears) scaled the pictures based on the known size of my lever. I have measured my gear lever and the result was pretty close to my calculations based on the measured slack at the top of the gear lever reduced in proportion to the distances from pivot to top of the lever and pivot to operating tip. In the absence of any proper drawing and bearing in mind that the selectors will be worn also I will work on these kind of dimensions for rebuilding the lever tip somewhat oversize and then grind down to fit.
New over old!!
New over old!!
R0041791new_old 1s.jpg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 2656 times