Members' Area open again

Area for anyone experiencing problems with the website or the forum.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Members' Area open again

Post by Ian Grace »

Gren Strickland has worked his magic and fixed the access problem with the Members' Area, whereby anyone could enter without being challenged for username or password. Trevor Wilkinson first spotted this problem earlier this week. We are at a complete loss to understand what went wrong - particularly as the VCSS Light Car Section's website uses precisely the same code and pages, is hosted on the same server (somewhere in Docklands, I believe) and still works 'as advertised'.

Anyway, Gren has provided all new code and we have both road tested it with good results. I now just need to re-link all the pages in the Membersd' Area to the correct Members' Area index page so users don't get thrown out of the area every time they return from a secure page! I'll see if I can do that tonight. 8)

If anuyone else spots any problems, let me know.
Trevor Wilkinson

Re: Members' Area open again

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Unable to get to members area on Firefox.
But seems OK using Internet explorer (which I don't normally use)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting - I am accessing from Firefox here. What happens when you try to access with Firefox? Anyone else not able to access?
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

It comes up as Not Found

The requested URL /secure2/page1.htm was not found on this server.
Apache Server at http://www.vintageminor.co.uk Port 80
cammy

Post by cammy »

I was getting the not found page for a day or so but it is working OK now.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Don't say it too loud, but I THINK everything business as usual in the Members' Area department once again. Trevor gave his PC an oil change and kicked the tyres this weekend and now he can access the site again.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

.... and now it is working again, I'm going to screw everything up again by changing the password! The new password will be included with M 132, and the change will be made once I know that all magazines have arrived.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, Nothing to do with this site but a simple question - When asked to contact the Register up come a sent type letter - no problem - type letter and then send when up comes questions like - POP3 etc, I have no idea what these things are and in the end give up trying to send a letter. Is thgis common or is it just me? My simple question to you was - have you received my letter and cheque? Frustrated Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister - I can answer the second bit - yes, cheque arrived, fish dinner booked for Saturday night!

First question - no idea! Do you mean when you are trying to send a private message thru this forum, or regular e-amil via 'Contact the Register' links on the main website?

Incidentally, vintageminor@comcast.net is inaccessible by me at present - my home PC hard drive has crashed and I have a set of new operating system disks in the mail to me - hopefully, I can rebuild the PC this weekend. Luckily I have all my files backed up on an external 100 Gig solid state USB memory - worth its weight in propshaft couplings! :D Send any e-mails to moffist@comcast.net until I say otherwise!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, Thank you, enjoy your supper. I was trying to get to you via Contact the Register. Once the message is typed and you click send up comes all these questions and they keep coming!!! I will not go this route again. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister,

I just tried out several e-mail links on the website, and they all seem to work - I THINK your problem may be with your PC or mail settings, but couldn't swear to it. Exactly which page/link were you trying to use?

(Edited to add that I just sent a test e-mail from the site to vintageminor, and it got picked up on my laptop at home, so maybe vintageminor@comcast.net IS working, but just very quiet.)

Ian
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, I do not wish to become a pain - I can reach you here OK. However I have just tried again via The Vintage Minor Register - Site Index - Contact Register-Typed message to you and tried to send - up came SMTP could not be found. - something about POP3. gave up. This is just for information. Molly and I are just off to the Isle of Wight for three days Scottish Dance Classes and Dances. Great fun and a lot of spirit is drunk!!! Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister,

This could be an issues with my PC being down, and so I'm picking up e-mails on a laptop. I am getting some vintageminor e-mails (just got one from Trevor Wilkinson last night), but far fewer than normal. I hope that my new XP disks will arrive today or tomorow so I can rebuild my PC over the weekend.

In the meantime, if you are having problems, either contact me here, or by private message thru the forum, or e-mail moffist@comcast.net, or get me in the office on IGrace@uascwa.com.