JF 4238 1933 Minor Saloon

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Jpallis001

Re: JF 4238 1933 Minor Saloon

Post by Jpallis001 »

Pleased to report that JF4238, or whatever it becomes, passed its MOT today. It was quite cosy driving around with the MOT Tester (my size plus a bit) and myself while he was clutching the brake meter. Thought it rude to ask if the meter registered anything, but he appeared happy. Will visit the local DVLA Taxation Office on Tueday and see what registration number they have for me.
Jpallis001

Re: JF 4238 1933 Minor Saloon --> 806 YUJ

Post by Jpallis001 »

JF 4238 becomes 806 YUJ. Not a very interesting registration number, wonder if I can find a Mr Yuj who is small enough to fit in a Minor? I am only 6' 1" tall but, even with the seat as far back as I can get it, I find it quite difficult to fit in the car. I suppose a clever chap might have tried to sit in a Minor before he bought one!

Just had a 30 mile ride around. They are certainly interesting/different things to drive! Brakes are getting better the more that I run it. The oil pressure when cold goes off the scale; when the temperature is normal, it maintains the 1 psi per 'mile per hour' bit (in top gear); when I have climbed a few hills and the temperature goes to the 'hot side' of normal, I only get 20 psi at 35mph. I am currently using Halfords Classic 20/50 and the bearings have all been re-metalled.
viaduct.jpg
viaduct.jpg (134.4 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Congratulations John - another one returned to the road and looking lovely. Great shot. Now with the spring just around the corner, you will be able to reap some enjoyment from all your blood, sweat and tears.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Seconded. Another one ready for the road and indeed looking fit for the next 80 years :D
Congratulations, many happy miles

Regards. Halbe
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Thanks Ian, Halbe and all - decided to investigate low oil pressure. I dropped the oil pump from the car and took it, and my spare one to the Engineers to see if they could re-surface the plate on the best one. Not sure how they will remove the pin from the plate? While that was in progressI decided that I would pop the timing chain cover off and make sure that nothing was rattling in there. I thought that would be a five minute job! - but the crankshaft pulley fouls the front cross-member when I attempt to withdraw it. Has anyone any tricks/techniques? - Is there enough free movemnet if I drop the exhaust + jack the front of the engine?
Crankshaft Pulley Removal.jpg
Crankshaft Pulley Removal.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

From memory it is almost impossible as the cover has to come a long way forward to clear the studs. The amount the engine needed to be raised was very difficult to achieve, ( I think it involved more force than I was comfortable with, but having got so far-------- you know how it is)
I wouldn't try it again. :(
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Thanks Trevour, I will sleep on it and flip a coin in the morning - either take the engine out or just put the Oil Pump back on and not investigate my clatter. Taking the engine out with all the bulkhead etc in place looks quite awkward with those wide engine mountings. I did wonder whether it would work removing prop shaft and lifting engine/gearbox off mountings + push everything towards the back axel for a couple of inches. I then remembered how difficult it was to fit the fabric couplings. Suppose I could try to find a prop shaft with Universal Couplings at the same time?

There quite a few strange/impractical design features on these engines!
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

I set off to lift the engine out. I found that with the floorboards out of the way and all mountings released the front of the engine could be lifted high enough to make it worth trying to remove the timing chain cover without removing the engine. I did have a bit of luck. The large, long stud removed itself when I attempted to remove the nut. That gave me sufficient freedom to jiggle the cover free of the long studs. If this had not happened I would not have been able to remove the timing chain cover without taking the engine out. The new chain has reduced the rattle a little (why did I not replace the chain when I rebuilt the engine - a story for another day!)

I also had the oil pump plate re-faced and re-made the feed pipe. (the pin on the plate pulls out) I ended up with better oil pressure, 100+ when cold, down to 25psi at 30mph in top gear when hot after a few hills. The engine pulls quite well, starts well etc, but still has a bit of clatter/knock. I have decided to take it out and have a good look at everything before I damage anything.

I was going to upload a couple of photos but ..
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sorry to hear about the forukm image quota being reached. I ftp my images to the website and then paste the URL into my posts, which probably isn't much bettter, as it all adds to the size of the website. (However, with the new host, we'll have unlimited space in ther next couple of weeks.) You can also do this with Photobucket, etc. and tghen there is no limit - until Photobucket can't take any more!

If anyone has problems posting pics to the forum, just send them to me and I can upload them for you.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Not quite summer yet!
Drift2.jpg
Drift2.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Not that bad down south!

Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Morning All, as we speak (I write) 806 YUJ is on a trailer bound for Surrey with its new owner John Olley. We popped a blind fold on to make the journey less distressing.
Blindfolded.jpg
Blindfolded.jpg (182.37 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
John has an interesting background with Minors, albeit some years back. I hope he will share it here as he reports how he finished off all of the little jobs that never quite got around to doing. John loaded the car onto the trailer yesterday afternoon and brought with him John Mason, another Minor (JK 3110 - 1933 saloon) and Morris Eight owner. In amongst the loading activity I managed to engage the services of ace photographer Peter Brock. Peter and I emptied out all of my boxes of bits and photographed them. Had quite an enjoyable day.

If anyone is interested in a large quantity of useful spares have a look

Ideally I would like to sell everything as one lot. If anyone is interested I would be pleased to receive offers on JPallis001@aol.com

If option A does not work, I will list via eBay.

John
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

John,

Congrats on the sale - hopefully the new owner will join the Register.

I'd be very interested in the brake backplates and front springs for the McEvoy!

Ian
gubben

Post by gubben »

And I am very interested in brake parts such as bushings, cams, bolts (opposite cam), springs (for brake shoes), brake shoes.
A wiper equipment, shock absorbers and the switch (for flashers I suppose) are also on my shopping list.
/Thomas
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, I'm sure that John will do the right thing and distribute the parts to members in need. ;-)