RT 8431

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

mowersman

Re: RT 8431

Post by mowersman »

Right, the timing adjustment made a huge difference, It now goes well. Only a couple of jobs left, make and fit a clutch inspection plate, and the floor board to go over it and find a new head lamp glass I also need to have another look at the wiring, I think there is a loose connection on one of the brake lights. We have sent off the insurance forms, only £59!!! ( I wish I could get insurance for that...) The MOT is scheduled for 9th April!
Andrew
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Andrew,
The clutch inspection plate is shaped in a particular way with vents in it. Put it on the wrong way and oil gets sucked into the clutch housing. You are better off fitting the proper thing than making one. I will have a look to see if I have one somewhere - unless there's someone out there that can lay their hands on one straight away?
Re headlamp, picture framers have 2mm glass and should be able to cut you a circle although you sound skillful enough to do it yourself.
Regards,
Ian
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

ian judd wrote:Andrew,
The clutch inspection plate is shaped in a particular way with vents in it. Put it on the wrong way and oil gets sucked into the clutch housing. You are better off fitting the proper thing than making one. I will have a look to see if I have one somewhere - unless there's someone out there that can lay their hands on one straight away?
Re headlamp, picture framers have 2mm glass and should be able to cut you a circle although you sound skillful enough to do it yourself.
Regards,
Ian
Oh, I was told it was just a steel rounded rectangle with the top turned up slightly...
As for the headlamp, We're going to see if stowmarket glass can cut two circles of fluted glass for us, to look fairly original, but still match. That reminds me though, we have an old door that may have fluted glass in...
Andrew
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Andrew,
Still haven't found the inspection plate, although I know I have one somewhere. Since time is short for your MOT you had better make something up. I have just had a look at mine which is an MG one in solid alloy and the vents - below and above the fixing bolt - are on the right hand side.
Regards,
Ian
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Does that mean that I have fitted this one the wrong way round?
bell housing vent.jpg
bell housing vent.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

ian judd wrote:Andrew,
Still haven't found the inspection plate, although I know I have one somewhere. Since time is short for your MOT you had better make something up. I have just had a look at mine which is an MG one in solid alloy and the vents - below and above the fixing bolt - are on the right hand side.
Regards,
Ian
I think I have found one, probably going to pick it up on Sunday, if not I shall make one.
We do have a slight charging problem though. The cut out does not want to close on its own, no matter how hard the engine is reved. once it is closed by hand, there is no problem though. Is this because the 3RD brush is not set correctly, or another reason?
We now have two new headlamp glasses, I'll fit them and the new bump stops at the weekend.
Andrew
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

John,
Yes, the vent plate is the wrong way round. The MG one has MG cast into it so there is no way of getting it wrong.
Ian
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Andrew,
I will keep looking, in case you don't get one. Re: charging problem, you can try moving the 3rd brush - when looking at the dynamo from the nearside you should move it forward.
Ian
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Thanks Ian - I am pleased that I was listening in on your conversaton - I will change it round and write something on it! (or put an arrow)

John
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Failed its first MOT this morning, dodgey half shaft... I'm replacing it this afternoon and it will be retested, then up to the DVLA office to get it taxed!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Fantastic news Andrew - only one small failure point! :D Well done!
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

VERY cool!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Subzero 8)
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Well done........ all ya gotta do now is start useing it, and then sort even more niggles out............!