RT 8431

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

mowersman

Re: RT 8431

Post by mowersman »

Right an update...
I put the engine back together after making a new manifold stud ( the old one sheared off), then spend half an hour trying to start it, before wondering why it wouldn't fire. I'd got the cam shaft timing 180 degrees out...
I sorted it and it fired up but was only running on 3 cylinders. I think that its an ignition fault as no.1 seems to have compression. I have swapped plug leads and the plug but no difference. I think it may be the distributor cap as I sprayed it with WD40 and it ran on all 4 for a couple of minutes before reverting to just 3...
I have got the starter working though. I fitted an earth lead from one of the mounting bolts to where the battery earth strap bolts onto the chassis, but that made no significant improvement. I did, however notice that there were an awful lot of sparks and smoke coming out of the starter button when pressed. I've had a look, but don't really trust it for the high current of the starter so...
Purists look away now!!!
I've fitted a 6v solenoid under the passenger floor board, but still using the press button to operate that. It immediately cranked over nicely!!!
The radiator has been found to have sever rust at the bottom, so that will be sent for repair some time, Fortunately it doesn't leak too badly at the moment.
I did a few other jobs, fitted some grease nipples etc. One real annoyance is that dad didn't to fit the grease nipples to the front shackle pins on the rear springs, BEFORE FITTING THE FLOOR.I'm hoping I can fit them when we have it over a pit (hopefull during half term...)
One thing I'm thourly confused on is the sliding mechanism for the drives seat. I was told it was a leveroll system, but having seen one, I'm not so sure.
This is what we have
seat%20runners.jpg
seat%20runners.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
Any ideas
Thanks
Andrew
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Right...
The misfiring was traced to the distributor cap. I gave it a light sand to remove carbon tracking and it is now firing on all four. The solenoid is now mounted below the passenger side floorboard and all wired into the original push button. I have also repaired the fuel gauge and built a claibrator, but have not yet calibrated it. It will be interesting to see how accurate it is once it is done. Other than that a few grease nipples were installed (the ones I was dreading (front shackle pins on the rear springs)) and other little things done. We now have loan of Eric Mouser's trailer, so it will be going up to Eye airfield to have a bit of a shake down soon.
I've still got to make a seat adjuster mounting, I have the steel, just need to find someone to wled it for me. The front bumper mounting needs to be welded, I was broken when dad got it, was welded but then broken again... (not naming anyone!!!)
The nearside fron floor bolt has to be fitted, a pig of a job, as the handbrake mechanism obscures it. Other things still to do include. At least the list keeps getting shorter.
Another exhaust hanger
Rear lights
Brake light switch
Oil pump sealing washer
Rad (that may wait until after MOT though)
The front rubber thingys, above the springs
Split pins on all castle nuts
I have repaired the fuel gauge and built a calibrater (the thing on the roof in the last pics) but have yet to calibrate it.
Fortunatly with half term coming up, I should be able to have a bit of a run at it.
Also a couple of questions
Will a cracked headlamp glass fail the MOT?
And what in the way of rear reflectors does it need?
Thanks
Andrew
Last edited by mowersman on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Andrew,

Great progress - you have come a very long way in the last few months, and certainly learned a lot of valuable engineering lessons in the process. You should be very pleased with your tenacity.

Yes, I think the broken glass will fail your MoT for you. And yes, it will need reflectors if they are not already integral with whatever rear lamps you have fitted.

Have you tried Paul Beck for a wiper arm?

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/lis ... wiper+arm/
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

What sort of wiper arm do you want? I have dozens. Highlander.
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Highlander wrote:What sort of wiper arm do you want? I have dozens. Highlander.
Errrr!!!
I'll have to check this evening with Dad. All I know is that the current one on fitted is wrong. I need one that will take a peg type wiper blade. Thanks for the offer.
I'm sure I read somewhere that all Minors had vacuum wipers, Is this correct.
Andrew
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Listening in on the Headlamp conversation: what type of reflectors/bulbs do people fit? Re-silvering sounds expensive, is it possible to source/ 'cut down' ayny reflectors that are readily available + will take bulbs with main/dip filaments?

My 1933 Saloon does not have side lights. How will the MOT man/lady make of that? Also want to fit a pair of rear side + brake lamps, any suggestions of which units to search for + where to position?

John
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Andrew. I have looked into my wwiper box. I am sorry but I do not have any wiper arms. I thought I did but all are either older or newer. I do have two wiper blades - any good - you can have them. Highlander.
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Hi, I may take you up on your offer, I shall have to get a wiper arm first though. I shall check the one I found on Ian's link
Thanks
Andrew
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Andrew and all,

We have a new member in need of an exhaust for his LWB (SV) special. He's having trouble sourcing one - any ideas?
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Talking of Exhaust pipes; I have just stripped down the exhaust fitting that I have from what was left of the old exhaust pipe and have bought some 32mm tube.I am ready to have a go, but do not know the distance from the manifold joint to the 90 Degree bend. Anyone able to help? After positioning/forming that bend it looks like I would need to expand the 32mm tube for the last 1cm and weld on a washer/ring that will fit within the loose flange.
exhaust fittings.jpg
exhaust fittings.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 5531 times
Or can you buy them?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Jpallis001 wrote:My 1933 Saloon does not have side lights. How will the MOT man/lady make of that? John
As you probably know, John, the SV Minor headlamps were fitted with sidelamp bulbs - so presumably you have plain reflectors without sidelamp bulb sockets. This may not be an MoT failure point, provided the headlamps work. You could always try "You know, these cars never had 'em fitted, young man." :D
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Ian Grace wrote:Andrew and all,

We have a new member in need of an exhaust for his LWB (SV) special. He's having trouble sourcing one - any ideas?
Just the silencer or the pipes as well? RT's silencer looks remarkably the same as the one on our Fergie TED20, I'll measure it to see if has the same pipe diameter. They are quite easy to source.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The cone-ended silencers are available from the Cooke Group, and the tail pipe is just a straight section. What I think is needed is the dimensions of the front pipe - particularly the vertical drop - which is different for the OHC and SV engines - our new member has the SV engine. I think the angle is about 87 degrees between the downpipe and the level section going back to the silencer. Confirmation would be useful.
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Right, Its been a while since I've posted an update, Sorry, I've been running round like a headless chicken.
It now has some rear reflectors, they are the same as the one that came off, whether there genuine or not, I don't know. The rear lights have been sorted and a new battery ordered. We took it up to Eye airfield last weekend and found that the clutch was slipping badly, the clearances were set on the thingys and we took it back up today, only to find an imense lack of power, This has been traced to the fact that I have managed to set the timing wrong. I have set it so that when the lever is in the fully advanced position, it is firing where it should do when its fully retarded. I've set it (again...) and its running an awful lot better now, so we'll take it up again next weekend (3rd time lucky!!!)
I've also fitted a couple of new tubes, and sorted the seat mounting, which I'll take a pic of as some point as I'm rather pleased with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTIj_-Yx3mg
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Andrew,

Your video posts are great - very inspiring. I can't wait for my two cars to get here next month. No doubt I'll be going through the same sort of recommissioning exercise with the fabric saloon while the McEvoy is looking at a very much deeper strip down and restoration.

Also fascinating to see how much of the runway is left - all very atmospheric and thought-provoking on such a deserted winter's day.

Great stuff - keep up the splendid work!