RT 8431

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

mowersman

RT 8431

Post by mowersman »

Well, I guess I'd better introduce my self. I'm 16, living in Stowmarket, Suffolk and I have a strong interest in restoring vintage tractors and horticultural machinery, hence the username. In 1975, My Dad, Bernie ( was a member of VMR until about 04) bought a 1932 Family 8 sports coupe for £55. I'm told it is very unusual in the fact that it had the earlier overhead cam engine, but the later type hydraulic brakes. He very slowly stripped and started rebuilding it, until in 2003 we purchased a 16th century farm house which was in need of complete restoration, and the Morris was put at the back of our (dry) barn and sort of forgotten about, with dad saying that he would get it working "one day". The work carried out so far includes; Full engine rebuild with new liners, pistons, bearings and valves, radiator rebuilt, new tyres, seats reupholstered in original blue leather, rebuilt clutch and full strip down and repaint. It was almost back together when it was left. Last weekend, I decided to get on with getting it on the road, I'm aiming to have it ready for the 2011 Ipswich transport museum vintage vehicle run to Feilxstowe as thats where it was originally registered. I redid all the wiring as it was mostly wrong ( Dad never has been the greatest electrician) set the valve clearances and rebuilt the distributor. I have so far had it firing but not running for more than a couple of seconds, not too bad I don't think, considering that it hasn't run for 45 years, and has been sitting for 25 years since the engine rebuild. I think the main reason it wont run well, is a lack of compression on the second and third cylinder, I'm guessing due to sticky rings. I will try to sort that this weekend. Also we are getting a new battery, to save me having to hand crank it. After the engine is running, there is very little needing doing. One of the brake lines needs a banjo fitting, the prop shaft refitting with a new fibre disk,, the floors by the front foot wells remaking and the seats refitting. I don't see any reason why it could not be MOTable.
I shall retrieve the chassis number and some pictures next weekend. I hope I might be of some interest/use to some of you, as I'm sure I will be needing some of your expertise over the next few months.
Oh, I'm Andrew, by the way.
And a big thank you to Ian Grace for helping me with the registration problems
Andrew
Highlander

Re: RT 8431

Post by Highlander »

Andrew, more like sticky valves. Highlander.
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

I had thought about that, but they seemed free, I gave them a twiddle when the head was off. They have been oil regularly so I'm suspecting rings as the first cause, as Cylinder 2 and 3 were at BDC so I think the rings have stuck while they were down there. I'm pretty certain 1 and 4 are firing well, just not quite well enough to get it running though.I was hoping it would run and free the rings off. I will check the valves again when I take the pistons out. I will wait until I have a proper battery first, as I don't fancy any more blisters
Thanks
Andrew
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Welcome to the Forum, Andrew!

Yes, we know this car - chassis 36296. Here is a photo of it taken alongside Eric Mouser's saloon about five years ago. I look forward to seeing it recommissioned and back on the road again! If your no. 2 and 3 compressions are down - could the head gasket be blowing between the two cylinders? This is where they usually go. But if the engine is newly rebuilt, this is perhaps not likely - unless the head wasn't tightened down properly after initial running for a few hours.

Incidentally, your OHC angine and hydraulic brakes are absolutely correct - 9" finned Lockheed brakes were fitted to the 1932 season OHC LWB Minors, but the LWB chassis reverted to cables (and SV engine) for the '33 season. 8' hydraulic brakes were then re-introduced for the 1934 season SWB SV Minors. The '32 Minor you have was the first Morris to receive hydraulic brakes - and those 9" brakes are the best on any Minor.

Keep us posted on progress!

mowersman

Post by mowersman »

I think the head gasket is fine, I certainly looked it, Also it has never run since it was rebuilt, Dad just didn't get time to sort the electrics.
I guessed the car might be known as Dad was a member until 2004, but just hasn't had time since. I'll check the gasket again at the weekend to see if there are any low spots, as well as pulling all the pistons and doing the valves. Do anyone know if the pistons can be removed through the sump of does the head have to come off?
Thanks
Andrew
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I think you can get the pistons down past the crank but I have never done it with an engine in the car - just on the kitchen table! 2 and 3 are easier than 1 and 4, of course.

(The late Rosemary Burke is famous for re-metaling a rod on her Minor saloon somewhere up the A1 one night - using a Primus stove. So that is how I know the rod and piston will come out from below!)

Just a thought - if you can get it running with the help of a good battery, perhaps with STP or similar, and getting it warm, you might be able to free stuck rings and see the comps come up without the hassle of pulling the pistons?

How is the oil pressure?
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

STP?
Unfortunately a good battery is a little while away, as Dad has other things to spend money on at the moment, If I can find the other fibre coupling for the prop-shaft, I may even try tow starting it, Unless you'd recommend otherwise.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

http://www.stp.eu/uk/products/item/id/6 ... -treatment

Not sure this is the best gunk for stuck rings, but it wouldn't do any harm!

Tow starting would work - I guess it is too flat around your way for rolling down a slope! :D

My first Minor (a SV 2-seater) never did charge and I resigned myself to cranking it with the handle as a matter of routine. The trick was to tickle the carb. without completely flooding it, and set the ignition advance retard to fully retarded, plus a bit of hand throttle. Worked most times - but I know all about the blisters! I have even warmed the plugs in the oven to get a recalcitrant engine going. And an aerosl of Easystart is also very handy. I've started engines with NO carb' fitted just by spraying the stuff directly into the manifold.
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

I would now (I used to a lot) never use easy start, after seeing some pictures of what it can do to an engine. Also it washes the oil off the cylinder walls, causing wear, thus lower compression, which is where the myth of engines becoming addicted to it came from. I guess it might be all right once or twice but I would rather not.
I'll have the pistons out at the weekend, and free the rings up.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Go for it at the weekend - and let us know what you find!

Addicted to Easystart? I must try some in my Martinis. :wink:

Regarding Special Coupes like yours, there are four on the Chassis Register - so it will be good to see this one recommissioned.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here are the other three Sports Coupes known to the Register. Anyone know of any more survivors?

Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

When I fitted a new engine into my SV MInor I had similar problems with lack of compression and a reluctance to run,The engine had been stored for many years after a rebuild,(Not by me) the 6volt battery was in good condition but just to get it going I took the 6volt off and connected a 12volt. It started and run straight away and after a few moments it was back on the 6volt and running ok
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Now there's a good idea - thanks, Trevor.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

For comparison, here's the SV Special Coupe of the 1933 season - the ex--Bev Hicks car, last heard of with Tony Relf in Essex and subject of an article in The Automobile of November 1991:

mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Trevor Wilkinson wrote:When I fitted a new engine into my SV MInor I had similar problems with lack of compression and a reluctance to run,The engine had been stored for many years after a rebuild,(Not by me) the 6volt battery was in good condition but just to get it going I took the 6volt off and connected a 12volt. It started and run straight away and after a few moments it was back on the 6volt and running ok
I'm afraid I've already tried that, all I did was flatten our tractor battery!, I just used jump leads, directly onto the starter motor to save damaging the electrics.