KR 5670

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ken Martin

Re: KR 5670

Post by Ken Martin »

Ian - I am very pleased that you are evidently going to keep the car as it is. It looks wonderful! - Ken
peterb

Post by peterb »

I'll second that.
Peter
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I cannot believe it has been seven years since last updating this thread! KR 5670 is tucked away in the garage awaiting work - when I get around to it!

The reason for this post is that I just received some interesting documentation from England dating to the 1960's.

First is the 1960 receipt from when Mr. Willatts bought the car for his wife Olive:

Sixty five pounds was a good deal of money in 1960 - for a thirty year old car - and is perhaps indicative of the fact that the car was, at that time, in virtually new condition.

And then there is this interesting 1963 letter to Olive from the Nuffield Organization. Olive had evidently asked them about the colour of the car, which was black and yellow:

What T. M. Clements could not have known was that the Morris chassis had been fitted from new with a saloon body from a Wolseley Hornet!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Update August 2022.

Today I fired up KR for the first time since 2015. Since then it has been buried at the back of the workshop. I fitted a new battery, put in about a pint of fuel (most of which drained out of the fuel tap!) and hit the starter button. I knew there was no compression because I swung it over on the handle to get some oil to circulate. It took a bit of turning over on the starter but then it fired and then picked up. After about a minute it was running sweetly.

The ignition switch is seized solid, so I'm running it with a wire directly from the battery, through a loose switch, to the coil.

I'll see what else I can do with it before the winter sets in, but the overall plan is to ship it back to England next year, where I'll be able to do so much more with it. I'm using leather restorer very gently on the fabric which I will try to preserve if possible.