VX4590's 80th Birthday

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ken Martin

VX4590's 80th Birthday

Post by Ken Martin »

Today Sunday 21st March was my Minor’s 80th birthday, if this is considered to be the date of registration.
It was supplied to Jack Reynolds of Chelmsford, Essex, just two days after its final test at the works and six days after manufacture commenced accordinng to Ian's records. To celebrate I took it for a pleasant drive around the Pewsey Vale and here is photo for the record. It shows Alton Barnes White Horse.
Attachments
10-03-21 VX4590 80th Birthday in Vale of Pewsey1.jpg
10-03-21 VX4590 80th Birthday in Vale of Pewsey1.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Toby

Re: VX4590's 80th Birthday

Post by Toby »

lovely, good day for it, took PJ out for a test run before MOT tomorrow. Good to be out in our cars again. Happy Birthday VX
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Delightful photo, Ken.

I find it hard to believe that all vintage cars will be at least 80 year of age by the end of this year.

My Semi-sports was laid down 28th August 1930 but was not registered until 21/10/31, so I'd prefer to go by laid down date, as opposed to registration date for birthdays and such. VX was laid down 15/3/30, so was sold a bit quicker that my Semi-sports which languished in a Bornemouth garage for over a year before Capt. Angus Hambro bought it.

But above all this, how many Minors can claim such an enthusiastic and stalwart second generation owner as you, Ken? Congratulations!

With several significant club anniversaries this year, the 80th anniversary of all vintage cars and the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain coming up - what a year!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Wonderful photo Ken and not another car or house in sight! I say this because it was 80 years ago that my Father Charles Reid left Aberdeenshire to become a Police Officer in the Metropolitan Police. He was posted to Banstead (Surrey) theen an outpost of the Met Police but now Surrey Constabulary. Banstead then was only the High Street and nothing more. All the houses we now see in Banstead, Kingswood, South Sutton, most of Ewell, Epsom and Cheam were still to be built. All was fields. Dad said it was Home from Home - farms as far as the eye could see. Between 1930 and his marriage to Mum in 1934 he saw Houses the build up we see today. Stations were added - Stoneleigh, Worcester Park and Raynes Park. Today it is hard to believe the main road out of Epssom towards North Cheam was a narrow country lane. The Railway carts were horse drawn. All this in 80 years. What will the next u80 years bring. All I have from Dad of 80 years ago is his bicycle bell!!! This is nothing to do with Morris Minors but a glimps of what most villages and small towns were like when our cars were new.Highlander