UX9251

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: UX9251

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby,

How much of the ash frame requires replacing? Presumably the entire floor for a start. You'll find that the tourer floor is simple - it is all 1/2" SRBP ply and straight ash sections. The sills are a little more complex, but really not very difficult at all - except for the joints for the various uprights. The uprights and rails are where the complications will come in. Are the steel panels good enough to re-use, or will the new/repaired frame need new skins. If the former, then you have to 'reverse engineer' the frame to the original skins, which isn't simple.

Are tyhe door frames useable? if not, and you need to make new ones, that will be your biggest source of cursing.

The three timbers which screw to the firewall are another interesting project. They are stepped to accommodate the bonnet and also routed to accept the half-round rubber strip. I use two tricks here. First, I make each of these three timbers from two pieces and then screw/glue them together so as to create the step. Second, I get a local chippy to rout the groove for the rubber strip - saves you the cost of a router, router bit and more cursing.

If the original frame members are complete enough to be used as 3D patterns, you have a big advantage. Just be very careful when dismantling the old frame - for two reasons - first, getting the rusted steels crews out without destroying the timbers can be a challenge (as mentioned on Halbe's thread recently), and second, just having the individual timbers as patterns isn't enough - you will nee overall dimensions of the completed frame if the new frame is going to work. For example, you might end up with a nice looking body that fits the chassis perfectly, but when you come to put the hood frame on, you find it doesn't reach the windscreen! :oops: So take all sorts of measurements from every conceivable reference point (including diagonals) and carefully check the new frame as you assemble it against those measurements.

When faced with a significant cost of a new frame for Semi-sports JN 570 about 25 years ago, I commissioned three frames from a coachbuilder in Oxfordshire - one assembled, two in kit form and also a set of 1/4" ply patterns for future use. I then sold the two kits to defray some of the cost of the body for JN. (These two bodies went on RFP 347B - now in the Haynes Motor Museum, and David King's Semi-sports rep. project OG 8535 - kit assembled by Dave Cooksey, and yet to see the light of day.) I then made further bodies from the patterns - the body for LJ 4435 (which is about 90% new) plus a complete new body for David Roscoe's rep. GU 1342 which I originally built for the late David Mackenzie.

Finally, when you are done, don't throw ANYof the old timbers away!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I am a carpenter but this isn't carpentry!!! Most steel panels are ok but need a bit of repair here and there, doors are mainly sound except plywood and bottom of skins, the trouble with the frame is that just about every timber is damaged or rotten or repaired and I want to re-use as much frame and tin as possible! The bulkhead is completely rotten/missing. Have been given tips by the guy at the repair shop and have collected books on the subject. All I lack is a bandsaw, the space to set up a spare chassis to build the frame on and cash but hopefully by next summer these will be rectified. I'm planning on using the new workshop to assemble my 34 2 seater with all the correct bits to then sell it and finance the 4 seater. Must post some detailed pics of the body before work starts...
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Toby

Post by Toby »

photos to follow...
Last edited by Toby on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toby

Post by Toby »

So the plan is to have a frame made.... The shed has been started to give storage for all the surplus bits, ie anything that isn't chassis, axle or ash frame! I say shed but it will be more of a minor garage!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Work as always has started again now storage is complete and the garage is suitably chilled to 2 deg.c! A set of wheels have been selected for refurbishment and fitting to PJ thus releasing the oldest tyred wheels for moving UX around. I shall not be using the one Morris 8 wheel fitted to UX!!! Engine and gearbox out and axles are being swapped for stripped down versions to turn the existing chassis into a carrier for the fragile pattern body. Wings etc.now removed too. The new body will be built on another chassis using whatever can be salvaged from the original. The next challenge is to dispose of the Rover in the garage to allow space to build up the other chassis with firewall, rad and bonnet for body builders to build new body on.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Great work, Toby. Nice to see the old girl being worked on at last. Pics would be good!
Toby

Post by Toby »

there you go! :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

Body is now with Jeff Body, having ash frame and possibly Jeff will do the skinning too. Having looked round his workshop there is some fantastic work being done.....
Toby

Post by Toby »

Ash frame is under way, will be reskinned too as most panels require a repair. Considering Jeff spraying it too! So could receive a painted body on stove enamelled chassis! Should be getting running gear sorted but sadly I am up to my eyes in reassembling a 34 tourer for sale and 2 seater engine woes!!! :x
Toby

Post by Toby »

body ready and skinned, just need to room in garage to bring it home!
34 2 seater for sale, virtually complete, tricky items are all there including correct dynamo, 34 engine4 speed box, handbrake, extended rad surround and light switch binnacle all correct for 34 model. Body appears sound except for small amount of rust in wheel arches.V5c £2,400 Located on Hampshire coast. email Toby at themings@yahoo.co.uk
Toby

Post by Toby »

we are getting somewhere!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looking superb Toby! :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

Body done, I am assured the blue is darker and matches the swatch I supplied...

Now have to fit new kitchen at home in order to clear out garage so I have somewhere to put it!!!

Simon

Post by Simon »

Toby,

The shackle at the rear of the front spring (bottom photo) does not look right. It looks too long and made of of two plates instead of a "U" section. I hope I am wrong.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And the front brakes leave a lot to be desired!

Toby, do you know if Jeff has kept the original body as patterns and could he therefore manufacture more similar bodies, and if so, could you get a price that I could pass on to other potential customers for 1932 and 1933 season chassis. These are rare but very practical bodies in a time when four-seaters are more sought after than other bodies, which was not the case in 1933, so one or two more on the road would be a most welcome sight. Would be be interested in knocking out a few more Minor bodies? I'm not sure how many customers he would get - maybe none, but it is worth asking, and offering them to members just in case. The other bits would probably be needed too, of course, screen, hood, sidescreens, seats, to make a tourer from scratch on an existing chassis.

And if we can get an original rear end to him, then he should be able to knock out '32/'33 2-seaters as well. Would you recommend him for this sort of work? From the photos at least, his workmanship looks superb.

Congratulation on taking such a high quality approach to the restoration of this car.