UX9251

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

UX9251

Post by Toby »

UX9251 is a 32 model 4 seater tourer registered on the 9th of October 1931, liberated from storage on the 23rd June 2009. Chassis No.sv6690. Previously owned by Sid O'Connell from at least 1955, there is photographic evidence that he used it to go abroad and that it was widely travelled. Although fitted with the engine stated on the 1950s log book it has a '34 engine fitted suggesting it was well travelled before he aquired it, it is also the maroon colour that features in the photos and log book but would have been blue originally. Traces of the original colour are visible inside the door and will be used to try and get a definitive match for the original factory minor colour. The car has been modified in the past with sidelamps on the headlamp mountings and headlamps fixed to the chassis legs, it appears to have been modified to semi hydraulics/cable operation - a master cylinder came with it but fitting had never been finished. The dash was altered to give a large parcel shelf and storage boxes constructed around the inner wheel arches supporting the idea of it being used for holidays. With it also came an unused 1962 tax disc (as well as the remains of 2 1935 ones) a complementary Morris 8 tourer club magazine from 1966 complete with introductory letter and membership forms plus 2 1956 John wrigley spares lists and data sheet with tips on maintenance. It would appear that Sid intended joining the club with a view to getting the car back on the road and if he'd sent off the membership forms the car would have been known to the Morris Register, maybe more would have been known about it, I am awaiting a reply from Harry Edwards, it is possible that Sid may have still joined the club at some point!
I can only assume that in its first 25 years it was re-engined, resprayed and modded for touring with Sid then using and maintaining/improving it before it was taken off the road in '62-hence unused tax disc-and then stored until 2009. Some seats are Karhyde and some are leather, the rear has a Mosely insert. The evidence of water having stood in the rear metal footwell and excessive rot in the rear bonnet area point toward it either being outside for a while or under a leaking roof. Its last resting place is certainly newer than the 1960s and is not the last address on the logbook which was last updated in 1955 and the last taxation stamp on the book is for 1960 which is when I assume the stamping of the book for taxing was stopped? The envelope from the local taxation office (which contained the log book) is postmarked 1962 which supports the evidence of this being the last time the book was sent off to obtain tax.
Also with the car came an oil painting depicting its international travels and showing its sporty lights and front mounted twin tone horns!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Toby

Re: UX9251

Post by Toby »

The rescue!

]

Toby

Post by Toby »

Willing helpers, Brian Finch, Sids friend Howard Thompson and Simon Hodgins who were much welcomed assistance, incidentally the tyres all inflated and have stayed up!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Well done Toby!!! Was the minor in the front room? Keep the photos rolling and all the best. Highlander.
Toby

Post by Toby »

No, but i did once have contact with a guy called John near Heathrow who'd had his minor dismantled in his lounge for a few decades-he wasn't married! He was going to restore it but seemed to have made little headway, He was more of a parts collector and sadly didn't have a computer to access the vmr but knew how to use one. I pointed him towards his local library.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Here's the archives!

Closer inspection reveals a bent front chassis leg and possibly axle!
Toby

Post by Toby »

all timber now doused with wood preserver! :roll:
halbe

Post by halbe »

So nothing very serious :lol:
At least you have something to keep you busy for the next ......years!
Beats gardening :wink:
I'm very curious about the blue colour you found

Regards,
Halbe
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Good luck Toby. What magic to see the name of John Wrigley on that flyer again. He was indeed the "home of the Morris Minor".......when I first had DG 7729 in 1963, he and Clares Motor Works of Tooting were about the only people you could get parts from !

Paul.
Toby

Post by Toby »

It appears to be a very dark blue, not unlike a blue my dad used for a 37 MG VA, being inside the door as overspray I assume it's the original as whoever resprayed it in the past was very thorough and when i first looked at the car i could see no trace of original colours (I hoped that whatever happened to the car it may be one of the few? remaining sources for colour matching!). Also strange is traces of lino on the floor as i thought lino was only used up to '31. :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Toby,

What a time capsule we have here - a splendid bonus to be unearthed with the car itself. The Morris 8 Tourer Club magazine Vol III, No, 45 was the Summer 1966 issue. Was that the only one with the car? This goes back to the days, when the London and South M8TC Secretary was a young Morris Minor enthusiast called Hogg who lived in Southall ...

This whole story is a feather in the cap for the Register all round and all came about because Brian Finch alerted us to the unearthing. So thanks to everyone involved in the rescue.

I'll be very interested to see how much of the story of this car, which looks like it was very active in the sixties, can also be unearthed. I'll ask around some of the 'elders' like Bev Hicks. Are any of the family around to throw any light?

The painting is particularly interesting - seeming to indicate a grand continental tour - just what tourers were built for! The M 1 was opened in November 1959 (and I remember my father driving me up it shortly afterwards in our Humber Hawk). So it looks like the grand tour could have taken place in summer 1960 or 1961?

Now the bad news, Toby. I want FULL REPORT for M 134!

GREAT job guys!

Ian
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Ian Grace wrote:Hi Toby,

What a time capsule we have here - a splendid bonus to be unearthed with the car itself. The Morris 8 Tourer Club magazine Vol III, No, 45 was the Summer 1966 issue. Was that the only one with the car? This goes back to the days, when the London and South M8TC Secretary was a young Morris Minor enthusiast called Hogg who lived in Southall ...

Ian
That'd be my dad then.... mum and dad were very active in the Morris eight tourer club, as you know ian...... i suspect they may have even stapled the journals together!!!
Dad used to pop round to John Wrigleys for spares..... apparently he used to have complete and running engines sat around to be sold.... those were the days eh!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

DVLA have confirmed that I have been successful in retaining the Reg. No. and I await my new V5c. The bonus is that it is now nontransferrable and can never be parted from the car. I am busy trying to raise some funds and with the car in a stable position and preserved the next step is going to have to be a new workshop to house a chassis where I can build up the new ash frame, gulp! :? once done I can start on the chassis restoration ready to transfer the repaired ash frame back onto the original chassis. There, nearly done already!!!!!!! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby, great news re the registration! Now I can make it official in the chassis register. :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

Latest update is that I have obtained a ballpark figure for ash frame repairs from a local respected expert and it comes in at...
5 grand. OUCH! I now have had the decision made for me, I will be rebuilding the frame. First will be a thorough read up on the subject in my collected books on the subject followed by the building of a workshop to set up a spare chassis and bandsaw (and also the purchase of a bandsaw!!!) before starting what will probably be a long project. I don't have room in the garage for the body building but could carry out restoration of some parts as the body is done elsewhere!!!