UX9251

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Re: UX9251

Post by Toby »

Hi Ian, he didn't keep patterns as far as I know! Not sure there is any call for them, in over a year of advertising the fact that this was a once only chance to get a 4 seater body at a cheap price (when done in tandem with mine) there were no takers!
I would have taken an extra chassis for him to build it on for anyone but now he doesn't have a chassis either as UX was collected today and got his first passenger. Now the car is tucked up safe and warm while i try and fathom out how i am going to afford to make any further progress!!! :shock:

if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Toby,

Well, we tried!

She does look really good - and I guess the (relatively) expensive bit is behind you now. I've just put before and after shots in M 140 this morning which goes to the printer tomorrow - only four weeks after the last issue. :o

Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

Ian, Sadly your engine you sold me has the head loose and knackered studs/worn bores. Wish I'd checked before fitting!!!
My other spare is now "rebuilt"ready to go in PJ and then after testing will be going into UX, fingers crossed!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well, I told you I had no idea about the state of the internals, which is why you got it so incredibly cheap! :D :D :D

But seriously, this is great progress, following the completion of the body. What are the biggest hurdles you face between now and the first drive? I can't wait to see it up and running - it will be a most super machine. :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

painting and chroming of all running gear and fittings inc. wing repairs and painting. all coach trimming and floor panels etc. :(
Linda has lost 1/3 of her shifts at work and we are having to tighten belts, also any savings I have are index linked and untouchable at present due to market prices. On the up side the running gear and some of the other work is mainly labour related so some progress will be made while I try and sort finances for outsourced jobs on the car.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sorry to hear that Toby, you are not alone - even over here, things are bleak at best. I hope everything works out for you both in the New Year.
Toby

Post by Toby »

finally have engine running in PJ as a test bed. Warming through as I write then retighten head, oil change and build up clutch. Put gearbox etc. back, run a few miles on it as test, then out it comes and into UX. Simples!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Good job, Toby! :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

lack of oomph, low compression on 3 cylinders, drove for about 5 miles to see if rings freed up but no joy. Original engine going back into PJ to see if high oil pressure cured and this engine now on engine stand for inspection, again!!! Beginning to wonder if it would have been easier to rebuild the engine that came out of UX to begin with....
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby,

I was just launching the May Newsletter with that super pic of the Gilg '33 tourer being hauled out of the Chimala River when I noticed that the rear of the hood has two vertical rows of poppers and looks like it can be opened and rolled up. I've never seen this feature on an open Minor before. The OHC tourer hoods certainly weren't made this way. (What about the SV 2-seaters?) It's not a mod. for the African heat, as we know that the only mod. done by Morris was to fit a lower ratio CWP.

Mind you, that rear sidescreen looks a bit second-hand. :o

Toby

Post by Toby »

small progress but re-plyed firewall, scuttle and brackets fitted!
Attachments
WP_000170.jpg
WP_000170.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 5240 times