1934 Morris Minor 4 seater touring

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

parthmehd

1934 Morris Minor 4 seater touring

Post by parthmehd »

Look what I found !! It was a realization of a dream !! Great little car, though she has lots of mods from an earlier restoration by a past owner. I have managed to source the original carburettor, dynamo (minus the fan) and hand brakes that came with the car since the pictures were taken, but the rest of it is still as seen in the photos. Help me spot the mods and I will undo them in the coming years !! Comments are welcomed and appreciated !! I am located in India, information and parts are scarce here and Morris specific clubs are non-existant, so I could use all the help and information I can get. My email is parthmehd@yahoo.com

The photos are on the following link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36445169@N ... 537105329/

Also, I managed to source the original plate (which was removed and lying with the restorer). It reads as follows:

"Type: MM S8
Car No: 34/MS/42790
Engine No: 43417A"

At present I am having some (major) engine trouble with her, so it should take some time before I get to take her on that Sunday drive.

Regards
Parth
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1934 Morris Minor 4 seater touring

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Parth, and welcome as both a VMR member and Forumist!

You have a rare car here - only a handful of 1934 season 4-seaters are known to have survived - they didn't make many because by the thirties, saloons were all the rage and tourers were rapidly falling out of fashion. Even 1931, 1932 and 1933 tourers are rare.

I look forward to further reports!

Ian
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Thanks for the information Ian. Well, it comes as a wonderful surprise to me that I have ended up with something rarer than I thought !! Now its my duty to restore her to mint condition !! I have already started finding the process addictive !!
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

I am tickled silly to know that I went out to get a "common man's car" and ended up with a rather rare car, and that too, in India, of all places !! Do tell me, Ian, exactly how rare is my car ?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Parth,

I'd say that there are probably only three or four other known survivors. I used to own a black one many years ago which I think Malcolm Bailey now owns (SV37075, HG 2415), Bob Worthingtoin has one under restoration (TJ 3818), and I think there is one other that I can't immediately put my hand on - that is about it.

This is a tiny number compared to the hoards of surviving 1934 saloons and 2-seaters.

Toby, is your SV41511 (YNC 398A) an original 4-seater?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Parth,

I thought you might be amused if I told you that I picked up a DVD of Richard Attenborough's Gandhi at the weekend. I have seen the film before but have watched it again - several times - this week.

Having rekindled my interest in India, I did a little research on your wonderful address:

21 Shanti Sadan Society
Behind Doctor House
Near Parimal Garden
Ellis Bridge
Ahmedabad 380 006
Gujarat
India

Finding the garden was easy enough in Google Earth, and then I found this photo of Doctor House:

And in the corner I found Parth Medicines:

is this a coincidence, or is this your business?

Looking around Ahmedabad and the photos on Google Earth makes me realise how much of the world I have not seen, and how much I want to see. I took a look at Amritsar and the gardens at Jallian Wala Bagh and wondered how many Brits these days have ever heard of the place or know anything of its significance. It is humbling to realise how little I know of so many places like this. You live in a deeply fascinating country.

It also made me think about your car, which must presumably have been originally shipped to India during the pre-war days of British rule - what stories it could surely tell us if it had voice to tell.

I would very much like to meet you face to face one day - but before that is possible, could you perhaps post a photograph of yourself here, so that I might recognise you if I find myself wandering in your neighbourhood one of these days?

Here's a photo of Mrs Freny Mody in her Minor tourer in East Street, Poona:

Toby

Post by Toby »

isn't technology amazing?! Ian my 34 tourer is a 2 seater. :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

OK - not sure why I had it down as 4 seats. I'll correct the Register.
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Hi Ian,

Let me lead you on from where Google Earth left you. The following is a picture of my home as it appears on Google Earth. Doctor House is marked in Green, the road leading to my home is marked in red and my home is marked in white. If you follow the red line into my bungalow, it will lead you straight to where my Morris is parked !! So now you know exactly where that address will lead you! That little business, though, is not mine. No luck with having a nice, quiet little shop for myself. I am a corporate lawyer, so for me, its all stress, litigation, disputes and what have you ! But your post does make me wonder what map my Morris would draw if I asked her to indicate all the places she has been too !!

Ah, India has so many people, so many cultures, so many traditions, it might take you several lifetimes to see all of it. When I see Europe, I have the same feeling you have so effectively expressed in these few sentences. I love traveling and I have traveled extensively in India, but some day, I would love to do the whole of the Europe, one country, one city, one culture at a time. I doubt if I will ever finish either of them during this lifetime but I do propose to cover as much as I can !

Since you have been watching “Gandhi” all weekend, here is something that should interest you. Did you know that Sabarmati Ashram, the place which was practically the headquarters of Gandhiji, is just 20 minutes from my home ? It is on the banks of the Sabarmati River (hence the name) which flows through Ahmedabad, dividing it into two parts. You can see the river on Google Earth.

Also did you know that Ahmedabad also has one of the largest vintage car museums in India ? The owner, Pranlal Bhogilal, has a collection of some 264 cars (an estimated 40 Rolls Royces, a dozen Bentleys and yes, a couple of Morris cars (but no Minor)). About a 100 cars are on show in Ahmedabad. A must see for anyone from the Register who is visiting.

Why don’t you visit India ? I can easily plan a trip for you based on your interests, show you around and make sure you have a lovely time. India can easily be done on a budget and a couple of hundred pounds can take you a long way.

Oh, and that same offer stands for any of our friends on the register !!

Regards
Parth
Attachments
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg (105.42 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And here is Parth!

Thanks so much for the background information Parth, and the kind invitation, which I would very much like to take up one day, but before then, you might consider visiting England next summer, and the Register's 10th Anniversary celebration. You would undoubtedly receive a tremendous reception!

And what an incredible coincidence that the ashram is so close to you. Is it a preserved site, or has it all gone now? I would very much like to think that it is still there. Edited to add - found it! Wonderful! 23° 3′ 36″ N, 72° 34′ 51″ E.

Yes, the world is an endlessly fascinating place, and each country has its own aura. And I discovered last October that this aura can extend well beyond a country's shores. We were aboard the Queen Mary 2, traveling in tandem eastbound across the North Atlantic with the QE2 on her final transatlantic crossing, heading for Southampton from New York. We were about 100 miles south of southern Ireland the morning of the day before we were to dock in Southampton. The sky was clear and sunny and the sea was flat calm and sparking. The QE2 was on our port side when she began flying her paying off pennant - forty feet long - one foot for every year of faithful service - including the Falklands of course. So we were looking in a northerly direction - towards Ireland. The two ships had been in convoy right across the Atlantic, but this morning was to be the final farewell as the Queen Mary 2 took over the Atlantic crossings from the QE2. Now, we drew close alongside the QE2 so that we could see the whites of the eyes of her passengers. Earsplitting steam whistles were exchanged and we on board the QM2 gave a rousing three cheers to the grand old lady of the Atlantic. Much hooting, roaring and Champagne toasting ensued from both liners and there were many damp eyes.

But the strange thing was that, looking out past the QE2, the sense of presence of the Emerald Isle was almost palpable - impossible to quite put into words. This may have been accentuated by a nearby fishing boat which must have set out from an Irish fishing harbour. This was the first vessel, or sign of human life, other than the QE2 we had seen for days.

Imagine this. You have been fishing all night in the middle of nowhere. Tired from your labours, you break off for some well-deserved breakfast. Suddenly, you notice a pair of enormous black behemoths approach over the horizon from nowhere. As they draw near, all hell breaks loose as thousands of people go crazy. Then they disappear in stately fashion over the opposite horizon. I often wonder if those fishermen had any idea what they had just witnessed!

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And as requested, here is yours truly - on the 2002 Summer Rally with my old 1929 tourer VF 6700, now in the hands of young Peter Stubberfield. The location is a lay-by on the A36 just up from the Dundas Aqueduct which we were visiting. The aqueduct carries the Kennet & Avon Canal across the River Avon.

Highlander

Post by Highlander »

A very good shot to view rear view mirrors!! Noone seems to have a near side mirror? I have found in one of my tomato boxes a mirror that matches but it is the fixing that may prove difficult. I have never found a stick on which looks good and also does the job. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The remarkable thing for me about this photo is that it shows that my tourer was actually TAXED! :o
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Dear Ian,

You can do nothing without helping me in the restoration process of my car !! In the process of posting your photo, you told me exactly what kind of rear view mirrors I need for my car !! :D

What an event you witnessed !! A historic moment, as the fishermen would surely have discovered later !! How did you managed to get onto such a sentimental and significant voyage ? Well, the Gandhi Ashram is quite well preserved. It is the epitome of simplicity and still carries the aura of the philosophy that Gandhiji lived by. Rather unaffected by the "progress" around it, it is quite an experience, specially for someone who is interested in the Gandhian philosophy and way of life. Would surely take some pictures and post them here if you like.

You know, I am actually thinking of taking up that invitation. I would love to meet all of you, to be part of the Register celebrations and also plan my first trip to Europe around the celebrations !! Do let me know the dates and I will see what I can do.

Regards
Parth
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Parth,

Yes, photos of the ashram would be wonderful - many thanks for the kind offer, and I am sure we would all be very interested to see them and learn more about your fascinating country which holds such mystery and intrigue for so many of us.

As for 2010, adventurous plans are in the works and I should know more, including the dates, early next week. Suffice to say for now that your trip would be more than worth it.