GS-89-25

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Frank van Voorst

GS-89-25

Post by Frank van Voorst »

After having bought this car three years ago and having visited 3 summer ralleys in a modern car I finally got to the point where I can start with the restoration of my 1932 2 seater. It is believed to be an original Dutch car or at least it has been in the Netherlands for a long time. The number plate that is with it has been issued in the 1950's at the time when a national regristration system for cars was adopted in the Netherlands. I am currently trying to get this number reissued to me. The car has been put together with some spares from a 1934 car as it has 1934 rear wings, hydrolic brakes and 18'' wheels.

GS8925.JPG
GS8925.JPG (58.43 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
halbe

Re: GS-89-25

Post by halbe »

Hoi Frank,

As neighbours, I'm glad to see you on the forum!
Let's have both our cars ready in 5 years :wink:

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Frank,
Welcome to the forum! Nice car. I would say you have less to do than Halbe (although he has made a start) and that your target could be set much earlier than Halbe's pessimistic 5 years. How about the summer rally 2010?! :wink: :P
Lots of help to be found here and plenty of encouragement.
Thanks for your help lifting the A Class car seats and for your support for the rally.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Frank,

Good luck with the rebuild - nice to see it under way at last. Sorry I couldn't get that rear wing to the rally for you, must do better next year!

Ian
Frank van Voorst

Finally got started with my car. I am disassembling the chassis more progress in the following weeks...
Attachments
GS6985may2010.jpg
GS6985may2010.jpg (100.99 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Frank - Is that your garage floor???!!! What is it about you Dutch??!! I have over 40 years of old carpets over a concrete floor and I think I am lucky!! Good luck with the rebuild. I have the same car but I changed the radiator shell for a 1932 one (I like it better) Highlander.
Frank van Voorst

After removing the body I found two unusual brackets welded on my chassis. They were use to connect the inner wings to the chassis. Ik this a known modification? Should I keep them or would remove them?
Frank
Attachments
bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Frank - definitely a mod. I'd remove them if I were you.
Frank van Voorst

One of the two shackle pins of the rear springs is broken in the chassis. Suggestions how to remove it. Is the best way to remove the housing around the shakle pin from the chassis?

The other side came out easily because the thread is almost gone there. What is the best way to repair the thread on that side?

Frank
Attachments
shackle pin.jpg
shackle pin.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Frank,

The threads in the castings on the Semi-sports were also shot. I de-riveted the castings, bored them out and machined up a couple of new inserts which I then had welded in. As for getting the broken pin out - I don't really have a suggestion other than soaking it in WD40, giving it some heat and drilling and using an Easyout tool.
Frank van Voorst

an easy out tool....I could have thought of this...

I discussed things with Halbe today. He advised to derivet also the castings that need to be bushed in order to hold the shackle pins. I am not as skilful as Halbe so I need some things to be done at a professional workshop and they probably don't want me to deliver the entire chassis :wink:
Frank van Voorst

Today I picked up the sand blasted chassis. Looks a lot better than before
Attachments
chassis.jpg
chassis.jpg (50.44 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It certainly does! This is the great stage in a project when you start building the car up again after dismantling it. So the difference now is that the more work you put in, the more the car is assembled rather than disassembled!

I see you have all the chassis castings removed. Keep up the good work!