VG 2007

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Eberhard

Re: VG2007

Post by Eberhard »

I can promise cold Dortmunder Bier, but for weather you must ask another institution. 8)

The more I see above the more I want to have a look to your projects. Fine work!

And now let´s begin the last day of work this week.

Regards
Eberhard
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update,

Work progresses really well with the crankshaft end float adjusted and front housing and flywheel assembled.
Also checked if everything is square after skimming the head and block. just needed a shallow fork for the dynamo.

Regards,
Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

still working on my engine, not India but progress non the less :D

regards,
Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

The engine is almost ready!
Just a couple of small things to do, One oil line, the ignition and carburettor.
So it was time to build the engine stand. Luckily we had another M type engine available to use as a test.

The smoke is from a supercharged MG J2 !!

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looking good Halbe - you obviously haven't been idle over the winter. All ready to tackle the fabric covering once the weather warms up?

Keep up the great work!

Ian
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I thought you were going to build an engine stand........ not a chassis for the workshop run-around!! looks far too smart to simply be a test bed!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update,

Hello Ronald, the stand will actually be used for three engines, two M types and mine. So better build it safe than be sorry afterwards.
Itś a rather simple frame, the only thing you have to take in account is that the front engine mounting is about 4 cm lower than the rear ones, the rest is as they say simples :D
Except for the last oil line the engine is now ready !!!! We have been able to keep almost all the original nuts and bolts which in my humble opinion look so much better than the new ones .
The big end and small end bolts are new , no risk taking there......

We will be using the original KLG plugs.........

Next step will be to put the engine into the stand , hook her up and test her, all very exciting :D :D .

Regards,
Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

READY :D :D :D

Halbe
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Halbe......... how come you've painted the copper oil pipes on the plug side, but not the feed on the carb side...???? i personally prefer to see them in copper, but not polished........ i'm sure they wouldn;t have been from factory..!

Don;t forget to take a video when you do the start up!!!!!!!!!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Ronald,

There was some black paint on the bigger pipes and non on the smaller oil feed when i took them off the engine in the first place so thats why..........
I agree with you about them not being polished in the first place , they probably need annealing every 4 years or so ? that would ruin the original paint anyway.

regards,
Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update
It has been sometime since the last post. The engine is back in the chassis , it is a tight fit and not easy to put in there........
the body is also back on and fits nicely onto the shroud. the only bit of worry is the space or rather lack off space between the fan and the radiator......
all the floorboards are ready and just need one more layer of paint
Next on the list is painting the front apron and the bits on both sides of the engine before putting the fabric on the body.

Regards,
Halbe

Here is the engine running for the first time after the rebuild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csMCUCS_ ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myw7Sgtqb60
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

WOWEE it does sound nice,Well done on everything you are a Star...
regards Colin (a very envious Colin)
halbe

Post by halbe »

VG is back............

With the body panels around the engine at the painter it was time to do the radiator (see The Technical Thread )
The small dent is nearly gone, getting this better would require re chroming , as is wanted to keep some patina i decided the radiator surround is smart enough as it is !
The only thing i still need is some radiator cord........and some original hose clamps. Are they Enots or Nesthill clips?
Now hopefully the painter does not take ages :) :D

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looking good Halbe. Nestills are what you need.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe,

The radiator hoses and Nesthills for my fabric saloon arrived this week. Sports and Vintage are supplying these chromed and with the loose bit riveted on which is quite convenient. Planning to fit them this afternoon.