AAO463

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

peterb

Re: AAO463

Post by peterb »

I drove past RAF Boulmer, on the Northumberland coast, while on my recent 500 mile 'Around The Edge' excursion.
This Phantom jet is on display outside the base.
As all things aeronautical often appear on the VMR website I thought it might be of interest.
The RAF Sea King helicopter search and rescue service operating from Boulmer is due to be axed in favour of a civilian contractor, based much further from the Northumberland coast - much to the dismay of the local community.

Quote from RAF Boulmer website:
RAF Boulmer is the headquarters of the Air Surveillance and Control System (ASACS) Force. Using ground based military and civilian radars, the Control and Reporting Centre (CRC) at RAF Boulmer is responsible for the compilation of a Recognised Air Picture (RAP) within the United Kingdom airspace and its approaches.
The CRC monitors the RAP 24/7 365 days a year to detect and identify all aircraft within it and provides tactical control of the Quick Reaction Alert Typhoons at RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Coningsby, which are launched to intercept unidentified aircraft.
RAF Boulmer is also home to A Flight 202 Squadron Search and Rescue who are ready to scramble in support of military personnel or civilians in distress at sea and on land.
Attachments
Phantom2.jpg
Phantom2.jpg (840.73 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Phantom-1.jpg
Phantom-1.jpg (675.6 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Phantom3.jpg
Phantom3.jpg (537.88 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
peterb

Post by peterb »

Some of the trams operating at Beamish Museum in County Durham during the Morris Register event last weekend. (2 Minors)

1. A 1924 Blackpool Standard Tram. In service until 1966. Sent to the Trollyville Museum in Ohio, this 78 seater returned to Blackpool in 2000 to be restored.
Normally operates on Blackpool Promenade and currently on loan to Beamish.
2. A beautifully restored 54 seater 1907 Sheffield tram. Originally an open-balcony car, converted to a fully enclosed double decker in 1926.
Withdrawn in 1957 and arrived at Beamish in 1973. Returned to original open-balcony condition in 1985.
Has since had periods of extensive restoration. In service again in 2016 after a decade out of action.
3. Sunderland Corporation tram from 1900. Originally an open-topper. Converted to a fully enclosed 66 seat double-decker after World War One.
Spent 30 years being used as a shed before being rescued by Beamish in 1989 and painstakingly restored to fully operational 1920’s condition in 2003.
4. Oporto Tramways Company 1935 single-deck 28 seat tram. Withdrawn from service after suffering a collision in Portugal and was bought for spares.
However its good condition resulted in it being overhauled to working order in 1992. Re-painted in the livery of South Shields Corporation Tramways.
Attachments
BEAMISH-TRAMS.jpg
BEAMISH-TRAMS.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3375 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

Another fantastic photo opportunity taken fully advantage of!

If you e-mail me the originals, I'll give them prominence in the Autumn Magazine.

Its a pity we cannot have trams at Prescott!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Docking manoeuvres...
Original engine reconditioned over the winter and all ready to drop in.
Attachments
Docking-Manoeuvres.jpg
Docking-Manoeuvres.jpg (646.39 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Congrats Peter. Great view!

I'm about to start on the McEvoy engine.