1933 Minor saloon JJ 9069

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Kenny

1933 Minor saloon JJ 9069

Post by Kenny »

Hi everyone, I have just taken delivery of my recent purchase, 1933 Morris Minor SV 8hp Reg - JJ 9069. I'm located in Scotland and hope to find a wealth of experience, assistance and humour through the forum. Many thanks.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Newbie

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Kenny,

Welcome to the forum, and also welcome to the Register as our latest new member.

And hearty congratulations on your winning bid at Bonhams! You have a fine looking Minor here and I don't think it will take very much to get it serviced and out on the open road.

Looking forward very much to some new photos of the car in its new Scottish environment.

Do let us know if we can be of any help in any way.

Ian
Kenny

Re: Newbie

Post by Kenny »

Thanks Ian, I'm off this week so hoping to get a few things checked for my piece of mind, and then hopefully get her fired up!!!!! Thanks again for your help.

Kenny :lol:
Kenny

Re: 1933 Minor saloon JJ 9069

Post by Kenny »

Well, after a wee bit of tinkering today the wee Morris fired up, managed to get it a wee run round the estate!! Bit hesitant on acceleration though?? Oil pressure gauge on tickover sitting 20-40? Is this the normal?? Calometer working well. I've found 4 gears and reverse, is this right for my year of vehicle, I'm sure I read somewhere a 3 spd?? All in all a very very good day :) :lol: :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Congratulations Kenny! Single malts all round?

4 speed is correct for your car.

Oil pressure is also fine.

Re being a bit hesitant on acceleration - I was expecting something liek this. First, the Minor isn't over-wendowed in the power-to-weight department, but forgive me if I also suggest that you will take time to get used to the car. I find with Minors that if you drive them gently, they don't like it. The Minior engine was quite a high-revving engine for its time and it responds very well to being driven hard - or at least with some spirit. I'm guilty of this myself and it took me some time to realise this, after driving several Minors in a timid fashion. And with the 4-speed box, you will have much more flexibility than with the earlier 3-speed models.

The important thing at this stage is to put as many miles on it as you can, gradually doing longer and longer runs to find any bugs, fix them and build up confidence in the car's abilities. And all the time you are driving, keep in mind that another 1933 Minor was once driven from Liverpool to Cape Town!
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Fantastic, thanks Ian!!! That certainly puts my mind to rest a little. So glad it started up today, was well chuffed!! Just need to await my logbook so I can get it taxed for the open road!!!! :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Welcome to the exclusive club of Minor DRIVERS! 8)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Over the last few days I got the radiator put back in and antifreeze added, all 4 wheels and drums have been taken off for inspection, all 4 under wings have been rubbed down and painted satin black to prevent any damage whilst on open road, exhaust has been removed, inspected and painted, rear lights fixed and working, and today the good lady and I have had a very enjoyable runaround town.... so far so good!!!!! :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

That's an excellent few day's work - well done - great way to ring in the New Year!

Ian