JV 291/MG 1930

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Sam Christie

Re: JV 291/MG1930

Post by Sam Christie »

Good idea Ian. Here it is by the direct method.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sam,

What a fantastic find for Derek - thanks for finding and posting here - over 65 years after publication.

Also intriguing reference to a possible Brooklands appearance.

If only all old car reports like this included registration, chassis, engine numbers and colours!
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

It is a super article with an exceptional amount of detail. What we need next is a period photograph, preferably at Brooklands. What do you think Derek?
plj

Post by plj »

How about Austin/Morris day at Brooklands in March?

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Laid up vehicle insurance

Post by Ian Grace »

I think Derek would have to get a serious wiggle on to get it ready for March!
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

Sam Christie wrote:Derek,thanks to a friend, I have managed to find the article.I have attempted to send a 'PM' with my email address so that you can contact me directly I will forward the scan.Let me know if the personal message has not come through.

Brilliant! Thank you for your time what a wonderful find. The car was also mentioned in a VSCC bulletin a few years ago and a couple of photgraphs were shown in the article.I wonder if it ever did compete at Brooklands?
I have not received the personal message yet though. I have checked the account details and they are correct.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Derek I was delighted to find the article for you thanks to the help of a friend. My friend noticed that the article was published in April 1948 and not March as I had suggested and he was able to forward a copy (I know I have the relevant Motor Sport but where?). I have also discovered that Lieutenant A.B. Demans was Anthony Brian Demans and served on HMS Caroline in Belfast ( Battle of Jutland survivor pictured) in the later stages of the war and at a Radio Direction Finding camp on the Isle of Man in early 1946.

Try this link http://www.unithistories.com/officers/R ... #Demans_AB which has just been added.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thread creep alert -again!

This link is a website I have used a lot to trace the RN pilots who trained on my Tiger Moth at Gravesend in Kent in 1938 and 1939. See http://www.n5490.org/Pilots/Pilots.html
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Thread creep - guilty as charged - fun though.
garagiste

Re: Laid up vehicle insurance

Post by garagiste »

Could there have been a misprint in the April 1948 Motor Sport by having misread the signature on the letter? Could it have been A. B. Demaus?

If so I know A. B. Demaus served in the Royal Navy as an officer in WW2, owned an early Aston Martin with extensive racing history, formed the Humber Register, has written a number of motoring books and has a large photographic collection.

Brian is a now elderly and rather frail but I see him from time to time and will ask him if he at one time owned JV 291. He may even have some photographs in his own collection.

David.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

garagiste wrote:Could there have been a misprint in the April 1948 Motor Sport by having misread the signature on the letter? Could it have been A. B. Demaus?

If so I know A. B. Demaus served in the Royal Navy as an officer in WW2, owned an early Aston Martin with extensive racing history, formed the Humber Register, has written a number of motoring books and has a large photographic collection.

Brian is a now elderly and rather frail but I see him from time to time and will ask him if he at one time owned JV 291. He may even have some photographs in his own collection.

David.
Fascinating - I must admit that Demaus came to my mind Every time I saw Denmans. I wonder if Bill Boddy's book throws any light on the Brooklands sceanrio? Must put it on my Christmas list if it is still available?
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

The name DEMANS reads like a misprint.The details on the RNVR site http://www.unithistories.com/officers/R ... #Demans_AB were put up after I asked for details of Lieutenant A B Demans and I may have prompted a mistaken spelling on the site. The names Anthony Brian are probably correct so it is a hopeful sign that A. B. Demaus is confirmed as a 'Brian'. It would be great to find A.B.Demaus is the right man and still alive and well.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Amazing ! I have just received the following email -

From c. 1948- c. 1962 he’s indeed showing as Royal Naval Volunteer Supplementary Reserve, but under the name “Anthony Brian Demaus”. Checking last name Demaus at Google returns a lot of books written by him on motoring. I suppose the “ Demans ” is incorrect then? This seems to answer it:

Surname
First name(s)
Mother/Spouse/Age
District
Vol
Page
Births Jan/Feb/Mar 1924 (>99%)
Demaus
Antony B
Scott
Wycombe
3a

Will adjust his entry.

Regards,

Hans Houterman

It seems we have our answer! And I should add, misprint well spotted David!
Last edited by Sam Christie on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wow! What a HUGE story! And what a fantastic achievement for this forum!

Incredible!

And now to post another incredible story that has emerged today regarding another McEvoy discovery...
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Amazing work, fascinating !!