UF 7090 1930 Coachbuilt Saloon

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

martinng

Re: UF 7090 1930 Coachbuilt Saloon

Post by martinng »

UF 7090 is definitely off the road at the moment and having all kinds of bits fixed.
The main repair is to the rear suspension. The springs went off to Brost Forge today and tomorrow I will need to remove the rear wings in order to get at the chassis to bore out and bush the shackle points. Whilst the wings are off I will repair the crease that has been in one ever since I bought the car and have them both repainted. All this whilst the front seats are at the upholsterer for tidying up. So it looks a sad thing just now, but will have it all back together in time for' Drive It Day' with new rear suspension, new rear wings and smart upholstery. Can't wait!
martinng

Post by martinng »

Reading my last post I find it incredible that the work on the suspension was only finished yestwerday in time for drive-it day today.
This was mostly due to holidays and sickness for my friend making hte drill jig required to bore out the chassis eyes for the springs.
So I now have complete new rear suspension, resprayed rear wings and bonnet and tidied up upholstery.

Today we managed just over 100 miles on the Stilton run which is held each year for vintage and classic cars. It runs from Uppingham in Rutland to Stilton in Cambriodgeshire to commemorate the transport of stilton cheees for sale at the Bell Inn in Stilton.
Arriving in Uppinham
Arriving in Uppinham
DSCN0610s.jpg (775.28 KiB) Viewed 9572 times
In Stilton for the cheese.
In Stilton for the cheese.
DSCN0615s.jpg (902.03 KiB) Viewed 9572 times
Mine was the only Minor and most cars were post war classics. Seeing a convoy of Minis (into which I became entangled) always reminds me of the 'Italian Job'.
So my car is now well set up for the new season with just a few normal fettling jobs to attend to.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Martin,

Glad you had a successful run after all your work and earlier troubles.

I did e-mail Janie Shepherd to ask if she was going on the run, but got no reply, so it looks like the answer is no!

Looking forward to seeing you at Prescott.

Ian
martinng

Post by martinng »

In fact my Drive-it day experience uncovered a couple of quite niggling faults. The exhaust came adrift between front pipe and silencer, the cooling fan bearing seized yet again, there was a loud and persistent rattle from the NS door and there was a violent vibration over about 35mph which made driving quite unpleasant.
A few days working on the car since then and I have replaced the plain bearing in the fan with a needle roller, I have refitted the exhaust, tracked the vibration down to a non concentric coupling disc which I have replaced and put a rubber pad on the passenger's door to cure that noise. If I keep curing the rattles at this rate we will soon be able to hear the clock!
So we had a wonderful little trip today and the car ran beautifully. We visited a rather special house and garden; Coton Manor which was the location of the BBC inter-programme video of children in a wild flower meadow, which I expect some of you will have seen. So the car ran smoothly, as quietly as the OHC ever can and was actually responsive to the accelerator. I cruised home comfortably and for part of the journey ran at an indicated 48mph (probably 45). Enjoyment of Minor motoring was restored.
Attachments
DSCN0765s.jpg
DSCN0765s.jpg (344.54 KiB) Viewed 9560 times
DSCN0758s.jpg
DSCN0758s.jpg (221.97 KiB) Viewed 9560 times
DSCN0708s.jpg
DSCN0708s.jpg (183.69 KiB) Viewed 9560 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wonderful pictures, wonderful weather, wonderful report! Thanks Martin. All set up for Prescott!

Ian
martinng

Post by martinng »

Following a fabulous rally in Dorset when I covered nearly 450 miles in 5 days during which the car behaved beautifully.
New fan bearing, new prop shaft fabric discs that removed the prop-shaft vibration and a fix for the loud passenger door rattle.
However the camshaft oil leak became so bad in Dorset that I have been forced into a repair and so the car is in bits AGAIN.

So far the bonnet, radiator and dynamo have been removed ready to inspect and correct the vertical drive shaft.
My plan is to have this all done and the car back on the road for Precscott, but ........
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Martin,

What sort of seals and bearings do you have in the vertical drive? I've always had 100% success with the new neoprene seal mod. Although it might be worth checking the centering of the vertical drive with the dynamo because if that isn't right, it will probably encourage leaks.

Ian
martinng

Post by martinng »

Ian, for some reason I have overlooked your question and I apologise for that. The answer is that I discovered that the seal in the oil housing was quite loose and I think that when I had the head off to renew the head gasket I must have dislodged it which resulted in the leak. I have now replaced it with a properly fitting seal in the oil drain housing cover (the normal fix) but have also modified the oil housing itself to fit another seal at the bottom. So belt and braces. At the same time I put a new set of Torrington bearings on the vertical drive. The alignment of the dynamo shaft was OK a and did not contribute to the leak. So all is now working wonderfully well and all I need to investigate now is the leak from the distributor drive (I think) that deposits a pool of oil in the steering box cover, but that was apparent when I bought the car and is not serious.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

That's one way of keeping the steering mechanism well oiled!
martinng

Post by martinng »

That is an advantage, but the work to fix it takes me into yet more uncharted territory. I have to learn how the distributor is attached and, more to the point, sealed.
I will learn though and this winter will try to get it sorted.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin, there's no seal as such. The distributor is held in by a clamp plate that closes in a groove on the distributor shaft by means of a clamp bolt. The clamp plate also has the anchor for the distributor end of the advance/retard link and a radial slot through which a small stepped bolt is tightened into the block to allow the correct degree of advance/retard movement.

As for sources of oil leaks, I can think of two mechanisms. First, wear in the distributor shaft, second pressurization of the crank case due to worn rings or valve guides. I'd check that your oil filler neck vents are clear. Being a saloon, you'll probably know if you have a crankcase pressurization problem if the oily fug coming back into the cabin is significant. I've had this on saloons before. The expensive fix is to rebuild the engine - the less expensive fix is to open the windows!
martinng

Post by martinng »

Thanks Ian. I would think that the issue is more likely a worn distributor shaft as I had this issue when I bought the car and the engine as you may recall is relatively newly rebuilt (2008 & 5000miles) and there is no 'fug' present inside or outide the car.
My initial investigation by wiping around the underside of the distributor did suggest that there is excess oil there.
I'll have a proper look later.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Another fabulous day out on Sunday. We joined some MR friends at the Triumph Sports Six Club HQ in the little village of Lubbenham only a stones throw from here, but we were totally unaware it was there.
We then all sat down for lunch in the local pub.
UF ran impeccably, pulling extremely well and taking all but the two steepest hills in top. There was no evidence of lost oil so that was excellent.
I have also refashioned the door striker plates so that the locating pins on the locks now have well fitting locations and this has removed creaks and groans from the doors when running. So the trip was even quieter than normal and we finished with a drive home in a wonderful sunset. A wonderful day.
The line-up with only one Minor
The line-up with only one Minor
R0011302vs.jpg (159.48 KiB) Viewed 9519 times
Winter sunset
Winter sunset
R0011311vs.jpg (196.27 KiB) Viewed 9519 times
Red sky at night - driver's delight
Red sky at night - driver's delight
R0011325adjvs.jpg (117.94 KiB) Viewed 9519 times