UF 7090 1930 Coachbuilt Saloon

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: UF 7090 1930 Coachbuilt Saloon

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin,

Sorry to hear that. Is the oil emanating from the drain in the gearbox bell housing?

What I do know about the OHC engine is that there is a threaded plug at the aft end of the main oil gallery in the block on the driver's side that occasionally comes loose. It takes five seconds to nip it up, but it is buried behind the flywheel which takes slightly longer to remove!

Potentially more seriously, it could be the rear main, or might it be the gearbox?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Do not forget that it should have a special lock washer which I believe are available from Sports & Vintage. Could ask Mike to bring some to Prescott.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Thanks for your concern, but I think that the panic is over.
I took a video of the oil dripping from the underside of the engine and discovered that there was a significant oil drip from the seal between the sump and block at the rear of the engine. I believe that the oil is then running to the lowest part of the engine and dripping off there too. I removed the bell housing drain plug and with a clean wiper on my finger found that the inside of the bell housing was as clean as when I put it back on after clutch work a few weeks ago.
I then attended to the sump bolts and discovered that they were very loose so I tweaked them up a bit, but not too tight. I still have to run the engine to warm up the oil and when I do hopefully the leak will have disappeared. What I do not have are the clamp plates under each sump bolt that should distribute the bolt pressure across the sump flange. I will get some made up and then I can fit them and hope that (a) the leaks are a thing of the past and more importantly (b) I will NOT have to disturb the flywheel.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin,

That is splendid news! The lack of those square washers would not be helping. I presume you don't have an original gearbox under-tray fitted? If so, the tray attaches at the front to the two rear sump bolts.

Also worth noting that the original Minor sump gaskets were cork, while the MG use cardboard - which is OK for cast alloy sumps which are much more rigid in the flange than the pressed tin Minor variety, but inadequate for the Minor. I had a batch of cork sump gaskets made many years ago. Maybe we should have some more made. Failing that, I suspect that fitting two or three cardboard gaskets with suitable sealant should have the same effect. And of course very important to make sure the tin sump flange is as flat as possible.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Further investigation has actually confirmed my worst fears.
Following the video I made immediately after I returned home from the Suffolk rally, I then completely cleaned up all oil from the bottom of the engine, bell housing and sump and then started up the engine. To my horror the leak is from the joint between the flywheel housing and block at the point that the rear bearing oil gallery is drilled through.
So not only do I have to remove the flywheel, but also break the seal between flywheel housing and block to renew that paper gasket that is there. Quite extensive work, and then I must set about reducing my 100psi+ oil pressure, which I consider is probably responsible for this gasket failure. I will also add the sump clamp plates that I have had made up as I go.
My aim is to get all this done in time for Prescott but, as I have lots of other commitments in the next week or so, it will betouch and go - so wish me luck.

The good news is that I have dealt with a seized fan bearing, which was caused by the failure of the split pin on the main spindle which had allowed the nut to tighten down and jam the fan. So some things are simple, wish they all were.
Martin
martinng

Post by martinng »

Much water (and oil) has flowed under the bridge since my last post.
Many weeks of wrestling to remove the flywheel from the beautiful Phoenix crankshaft eventually bore fruit in the shape of a block of wood through the starter motor hole and a sledgehammer!!
Once the flywheel was off it was clear that the bolts locating the flywheel housing and the oilway blanking plug were not tightened as much as they might have been and this together with an apparent lack of gasket cement had allowed oil to leak through.
So everything was cleaned, a new gasket fitted with a smear of Hylomar on each side and all reassembled and tightened down very well using a new copper washer on the blanking plug.
I then tackled the possible reason for the leak, which was the 100psi+ oil pressure. I renewed the oil relief valve plunger and spring to no avail, so cut a couple of turns off the spring.
I then went for a drive for lunch to get things really warmed up and hey presto, I now have 70psi when hot and running, which is quite good enough. I seem to recall the original specification was 40-60 for the OHC engine.
Out and about in the sun again.
Out and about in the sun again.
R0042482adj01s.jpg (135.87 KiB) Viewed 7784 times
So I am now set for Prescott and will have the right car for the occasion.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Well after the damp and difficult days at Prescott and Thoresby, it was pleasant to spend a day with our picnic in the realtively warm sun watching aircraft displays. So this was not a Minor fest. Apart from UF there was only one other Minor there.
UF Amongst the 'classics'
UF Amongst the 'classics'
IMGP5488s.jpg (345.36 KiB) Viewed 7772 times
The great attractions of the day were the flights of the two Lancaster bombers and the Avro Vulcan. The Lancs were spectacular and made several stately passes around the airfield. The Vulcan was just something else and literally roared through the air with a groundshaking sound - what a monster. So there were some good photo opportunities.
Lancaster flypast
Lancaster flypast
IMGP5686Lancs1s.jpg (95.31 KiB) Viewed 7772 times
Vulcan monster
Vulcan monster
IMGP6115vulcan5s.jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 7772 times
For once the Spitfire that opened the show was very much a secondary attraction.
Spitfire - supporting act
Spitfire - supporting act
IMGP5526spitfire1s.jpg (136.32 KiB) Viewed 7772 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin - super photos - including your Minor! (Whose was the other one, I wonder?)

Thanks for posting these,

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This Sunday, at 1610 hrs, the two Lancs will perform flypasts at East Kirkby while the resident Lanc 'Just Jane' taxies, providing a unique opportunity to see three Lancasters in action together.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Due to a forced engine change on the Canadian Lanc, the three Lanc event at East Kirkby has been re-scheduled for this Sunday at 1625.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.c ... 5D6FBE3706
martinng

Post by martinng »

After the excitement of Lancs and Vulcans we had a more relaxed day yester day. A friend in Rothwell invited Morris owners for an impromptu day of activities associated with Rothwell Heritage Day. There were three Minors (my 1930 saloon, a 1933 saloon and 1934 tourer) the others varied from Flat Nose Cowley, Eights, Es and a couple of big six-cylinder saloons. It was all very relaxing as it was only 16 miles down the road even though it took us 20 to get there due to a wrong turn. Our host had just had a new block paved drive laid, so we looked like cardboard city as we parked with a protective layer under each car to catch the inevitable oil drips.
Assembled cars
Assembled cars
IMGP6581s.jpg (103.81 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
As we left however a screw appeared on the card under the car which was a mystery until I returned home and discovered that it was from the fabric disc coupling!! So today I fitted a new fabric disc to the gearbox end of the prop shaft making sure that all nuts, bolts and split pins were firmly in place. As I tidied away to my surprise I discovered a castellated nut on my drive, which must have dropped of as we left, so that was a fitting sequel to the loose screw episode.
I did intend to change this couping anyway because it was wearing and delaminating quite badly. I'm not sure why -it was fitted about a year ago and has only done 1300 miles. The gearbox output shaft does seem to be rather more horizontal than the downwards angle of the drive tube. Maybe I need to adjust the engine mountings to allow the rear to drop down slightly. I cannot lift the front or I won't be able to engage the starting handle.
So anyway all is back together again and ready for another trip planned for the end of the month.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin,

Thanks for the report and great photo. Whose were the other Minors?

Re the angle of the engine with respect to the prop shaft, this is correct and nothing can or should be done about it - it's why the couplings are flexible! But if it concerns you, you could replace the shaft with a Hardy Spicer unit. These are available for Minors. I have one ready to go in the McEvoy.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Ian, the Minors were Peter Yates and his 1933 saloon LV975 and Bob Worthington with the 1934 tourer TJ3818.

As far as prop-shafts are concerned, I have put it all back together and will work with it for now.
The other concern (one is the cost!!) with a Hardy Spicer shaft is the lack of rotational flexibility. As the clutch is a single plate with no radial springs to help pick up the drive smoothly, I thought that this was partly the function of the flexible discs, but perhaps I am over emphasising that effect. It would be lost with a more rigid arrangement. The rather primitive clutch already has to be slipped somewhat to pick up the drive.

Always a thought for the future though.
Martin
martinng

Post by martinng »

Another day out last Sunday. This time a gentle 20 mile round trip for lunch at Stoke Bruerne, a local canal side attraction. The party consisted of MR members from Leics / Northants and Oxford. About a dozen cars with mine the only Minor. The others were all Morrises except for a 1933 Riley Monaco and a 1930 Rolls 20/25 Sedanca De Ville, which I notice today is on Classic Cars for Sale. http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car ... 30/276555/
If anyone wants to change to Rollers, then this sounded very sweet.
So we had a congenial lunch and a few photos by the church before returning in the afternoon sun.
First to arrive - a very favourable view - but they say the camera never lies!
First to arrive - a very favourable view - but they say the camera never lies!
IMGP6650s.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
Stoke Bruerne Canal Museum
Stoke Bruerne Canal Museum
IMGP6647s.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
Lined up for pictures.
Lined up for pictures.
IMGP6667s.jpg (98.67 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin,

Great photos and a lovely autumn day out - just what our cars are ideal for!

Ian