SV2612 - a restoration project in Sweden

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: SV2612 - a restoration project in Sweden

Post by Ian Grace »

Thomas,

I didn't grind down my bolt heads, but I did cut a section out of the shackle webs so they cleared the bolt heads when under load and leaning back.

Keep up the good work!

Ian
gubben

Post by gubben »

Ian
That makes sense.

Today, I hope :lol: , I will have the time left to assemble the front axle. Ought to be a simple task...

Thomas
gubben

Post by gubben »

A simple task it was... :oops:

Find the misstake!
Attachments
Find two misstakes.JPG
Find two misstakes.JPG (185.31 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

The only obvious thing I can spot is the second leaf from the top projects a shorter distance from one buckle - the side closest to the viewer- than the other. The fourth spring down projects further.
At least you put the axle on the right way round! when I did this on my M type I put the axle on the wrong way and of course the bolt holes did not line up properly with the spring.
gubben

Post by gubben »

Well, I´m ashamed - when assembly the front axle I forgot both the "rubber stop" and the caster shims.

And you are quite right - the springs differ. Something I haven't noticed myself :oops:

By the way, does anyone know where to find the two bushes that support the "brake cross shaft" (hope you understand what I´m looking for)? Outer diameter about 29 mm and inner diameter about 25 mm. If not I´m planning to buy a suitably brass tube and make them myself.
/Thomas
Attachments
caster shims and rubber stop.jpg
caster shims and rubber stop.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looking good now!

Ian
gubben

Post by gubben »

Rear leaf springs assembled
Before I could assemble the rear springs I needed to replace the old bushes. I found new ones at Ian Harris, 16 mm outer diameter and 1/2 " inner. However, it was necessary to shorten them a little bit and adjust the inside dimensions slightly.
New bush but too long.JPG
New bush but too long.JPG (208.05 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
When assembly the springs I noticed that there is a considerable play between the shackles and spring eye resp. chassis eye. I don´t remember if there where any washes when dismantling the springs but I think it ought to be.

After having measured the gap I found that 0,4 mm washers would do the job (two for each bolt).
Right spring assembled.JPG
Right spring assembled.JPG (203.11 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes Thomas, there should be quite a thick washer on each shackle pin. Over the years, many of these original thick washers have been lost.

Also, the chassis was not bushed originally - someone obviously bushed yours in the past.

Good progress!
gubben

Post by gubben »

Steering gear play fixed
My 1931 Minor has an early worm and wheel steering box - and a excessive play as well :D I could easily move the arm about 2 mm sideways!

Because my first priority is a car in mechanical good standard (rather than concours perfection) this can´t be accepted!

Adjust the bolts and locknut on the top had no effect at all.

Therefore I took off the "cover plate" and eureka - I found it. There was a visibly play between the worm an wheel teeth. By rotating the wheel to another sector the play was eliminated! Somethings are unexpected easy to fix thanks to this forum!
/Thomas
Steering gear.JPG
Steering gear.JPG (337.82 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Great news and glad to have been able to help!

Ian