MG 748 1930 MG M

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

PeterN

MG 748 1930 MG M

Post by PeterN »

Just in the process of completing the deal for a 1930 MG M Type and need to do some fast learning about how to look after her. Any advice about suitable lubricants, fuel/additives and how to best use the manual advance/retard will be well received. Also need recommendations for useful books/manuals to assist in running and maintaining her in good shape. No major work planned, just tidying and getting to know her. In the event I need parts, who are the trusted suppliers. All a bit basic so sorry for that but I've no experience of maintaining pre war motor cars.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: MG 748 1930 MG M

Post by Ian Grace »

Welcome to the forum Peter, and congratulations on your acquisition.

You can access the Members' Area of the website, where you will find a great deal of information including a series of technical articles, handbooks, period articles, the chassis register, membership list and a great deal more.

We also have available our Tenth Anniversary DVD which contains searchable .pdf copies of our first 37 Magazines and our first five Yearbooks, amounting to over 2,000 pages of useful and interesting information, technical articles, etc. These are GBP 25 to include worldwide P&P.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Peter, for general M-type history a Profile Publication is good and they appear commonly on eBay.

For a manual, the OHC Minor Manual contains more useful information and is much more common and cheaper than the M-type Manual (though it is rather nice to have a genuine M-type Manual if you can find one).

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I use the advance/retard in retard to start the engine, and once running i advance and leave it there, unless i leave her ticking over for a while then i might retard it to slow the tick over a little............