1931 D Type MG JF 2451, D0263

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1931 D Type MG JF 2451, D0263

Post by Ian Grace »

I thought I'd transfer reports on this car from Marketplace, as it is no longer for sale, and will be on its way to VMR HQ shortly.

I was able to take a good look at the D Types at Pre-War Prescott and drive Bill Grayling's D0253 up the hill. Bill's car currently has valve issues and is also fitted with the original 3-speed box (although 4-speed boxes were offered as an option in 1932). The car went nicely in first and second, but could not hold top at any point on the hill. D0263 lost its engine a long time ago, having been fitted with a Ford engine, as so many MMM's were. The seller has spent the last few years accumulating engine and gearbox parts, and does have a 4-sppeed box, along with a couple of blocks, heads, etc.

I also spent some time in England talking to Colin Lee who owns a very nice J1. This car has the 4-speeed box and also the J crossflow head which adds a very welcome 33% to the BHP and results in a very driveable car in modern road conditions. It turns out that 5 or 6 D's have already had the J head mod and I think D0263 will have it as well. Current plans call for the car to be restored and positioned in England for future rallies where the extra performance and cross-country capability will be very useful.

Right now I'm considering getting the car over to Seattle, restoring the rolling chassis and then packing it off to the UK to have the restoration completed professionally. This will be more expensive, but the quality of the work will be higher than anything I could do and it should be ready to drive years sooner. And the engine can be built professionally with a new Phoenix crank, new Tom Dark J head, J clutch, etc.