Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Good morning,

as Ian introduced myself, I want to get a Minor Pre War. My life long I dreamt to own an old car with freestanding wheels, big head lamps and big motor like SSK or Blower Bentley. Now, 50-55 years ago, my moneybag isn´t nearly empty as before. 8) Time went by and my dreams became less. But don´t give up! The Morris Minor is exactly the car which has all the attributes except a big engine. With this small problem I can live...
As you can see on my site I´m working with steel but more stainless steel. To restore an old one will not be a problem for me and there is nothing better to build something with your own hands and see what you did.

I hope that sometimes there will be the opportunity to get such a lovely thing!

Thanks to John Seddon who fixed me up! :D

Sorry for the worst English. Learning is over 45 years ago.

Greetings from Germany

Eberhard
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Newbie

Post by Ian Grace »

Welcome to the Forum Eberhard. As cars come up for sale, I will let you know.

We have another member in Germany - Volker Tilly in Horst. I will send you his contact details - he has a 1930 2-seater.

Happy Minor hunting!

Ian
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Horst? Gelsenkirchen-Horst??? ~ 40 km... :)
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Eberhard wrote:Horst? Gelsenkirchen-Horst??? ~ 40 km... :)
No, Schleswig-Holstein - Northern Germany. So I have to do a little weekend journey with the camper. 8)
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

I just remembered some drawings to build an oldie on a beetle chassis. Running down into the cellar I found them:

My wife and me were visiting an auto graveyard and took some measures of a beetle chassis. My intent was not to build a car like the "Bugatti" modification but a pleasant appearance.
It didn´t become reality because children were born and my job was more important then a hobby. But I never forget... 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Fantastic - an SSK Bug!

When I was a pennyless student about 35 years ago, I had a 1963 Bug and it suffered increasingly from front end axle wobble. After changing all the king pins and link pins, on the advice of the local VW garage, I finally discovered that the entire chassis head holding the front axle assembly on was coming away from the rest of the rusted floor pan. :o I had to import a new chassis head from VW in Germany, but they advised against using it as a repair. But I welded it on anyway, and sold the car soon after... :D
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

That was a great problem of the beetle chassis. I do know enough about. 8)
Though the bug was a million seller, its was a big sh** (for me). Third cylinder often was making problems, the heater only was running when the throttle was full down.
Most craftsmen were using the transporters. Don´t know how many miles a gallon you could drove, but they need gas from 13-19 l/ 100 km. The engines latest broke when they arrived 80.000 km.
Imagine, what you nowadays would tell VW, when your van will break down. :mrgreen: