M22335 (1930) Minor Tourer (India)

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

KartikeyaL

M22335 (1930) Minor Tourer (India)

Post by KartikeyaL »

Hi

This is Kartikeya Lunia ( Kartik ) from Jaipur in India, I have been awe-struck by vintage cars from the age of 10 and
finally I got to lay my hands on one in Feb 2011, at the age of 34 ( quite a long wait ).

I recently acquired this Morris minor OHv tourer ( Chassis no M22335) , the car was first owned by the royal family of Ayodhya, was sold by the Maharaja to the Inspector General of Police in Lucknow and then changed hands only once,before I got her.

The car was parked for last 30 years and the previous owner tried to fire up the engine a few times,but gave up hope and I got a lucky break. The car on inspection was found to be in a very original state, except a few minor changes which were made, and a few parts which are missing.

At this point, we are working on getting the engine fit, we had fired up the engine once and there was too much noise,
the dynamo is back after repairs, some work is needed on the shaft .Hopefully we will fire up the engine once again and try to drive for a few miles and then take off the body for full restoration.

Meanwhile we have stripped the car of the many layers of paint and yes we found the original Niagra blue too.

I know of only 1 more morris minor tourer ohv which is there in India, so I am hoping its a rare car for India.

will upload some pictures soon.
Last edited by KartikeyaL on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
KartikeyaL

Re: USJ - 1795 (M22335) 1930 Minor Tourer (India)

Post by KartikeyaL »

Here is a link to few of the pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61713052@N05/
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Kartikeya, and welcome to the Forum. You have a rare and historic Minor, and I am certain that all the other forumists will be looking forward to following your progress closely. Good luck, and I'll get the panel and lamp weighed for potential posting to you and let you know.
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

I now have some more details of the car.

The plate says the following:-

Type : MM8
Car no . M22335 ( same as chassis no.)
Engine no. 23017

I dont know where to look for the Body no.? Want to know the exact date of production etc, where can I ?

Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Kartik,

Thanks for the engine number which I will add to the chassis register. So does this match the number on the left side of the block? If so, you have the original engine in your car.

Tourers did not have body numbers because their bodies were not built at Cowley but in Coventry and driven down in batches by lorry to Cowley - only the saloons, fabric saloons and Semi-sports had body numbers.

If you can call the Heritage Motor Centre on (+44) 1926/641555 and tell them you are calling from India, I am sure they will give you your chassis details over the phone for free. They hold all the original manuscript 'Progress Books' for the early Minors.

What I can tell you is that M22335 was a single tourer, M22334 and 22336 both being saloons. My guess is that the chassis was laid down on or very close to 26th March 1930, possibly against special order by the Royal Family of Ayodhya.
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info, The engine is original.
I will probably on a later date get a certificate from the Heritage Motor Centre.

Cheers!!
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Below are three links , where the side lamps ( Lucas LD109 style) are avaliable.

Can anyone let me know which would be the best or are they all the same. ofcourse we'd have to remove the lower
part and mount the lamp on single bolt.

http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/phdi/ ... ent&part=6

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct. ... Code=LD109

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/144 ... n-details/

Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Kartik,

The correct original sidelamps are not too hard to find. I suggest you wait to see if an original pair can be sourced before fitting new replacements. I'll do some digging for you. I may be able to help you with the correct TF201 rear lamp if ytours is missing. What does the car currently have on the back?

Can anyone help Kartik with a pair?
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Hope to find the originals, that will just be great.
pls look at the picture of the car's backside , are these originals ? ( Lamps)

There are two on both sides.

Thanks
Kartik
Attachments
car backside.jpg
car backside.jpg (84.6 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

No, these lamps are not the originals. The OHC Minor tourer had a number plate suspended from that rear chassis tie bar visible in your photo, and the single tail lamp was fitted to an 'ear' on the right end of the plate. In more recent times, there has been a requirement in the UK to have two tail lamps fitted, so we have seen all sorts of non-original layouts to comply. Also, the red lens on these small TF201 lamps is not large enough to comply with the regs.

So my preferred solution at the back is to retain the original TF201 lamp on the number plate (because it also illuminates the number - another requirement) and then fit a pair of more modern lamps with larger red lenses fitted to either end of that tie rod. That way, you won't have to drill the rear wings to fit lamps on them.

What are the lighting regs for vintage cars in India?
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Well, India doesnt have any regulations for lightings vis-a-vis vintage cars, vintage cars and their owners
can usually get away with anything ( ha).

The sad part is that traffic in India is such a mess, that you cannot drive a vintage anytime during the day.
night time when the traffic is less or on sundays , owing to these reasons plus the scarcity of parts and the high costs
of maintaince forces most of the owners to drive the cars only in rallies . Hence , no one here feels any need for any regulation.

Now, as far as my tourer is concerned I would like to go with the original lamp, and would appreciate if anyone could email me
a picture of the original.

so there is one more thing to look for , also what kind and size of number plate, Picture Ian ?

Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Understood - interesting.

Here is the original rear number plate and lamp on KR 5670. Ignore the luggage grid which was a later fitment.

You can see the Lucas TF201 on the 'ear' on the right side of the original pressed steel number plate. These are available - albeit in cast aluminium. Does anyone know of a supplier of pressed steel ones to this pattern?

As you can see, KR has had dual lamps and reflectors added to the wings - pity! (And it is worth also mentioning that the original location for the number plate was suspended under the rear chassis tie rod, but it has been relocated on KR to the luggage grid which would have obscured it in its original location.)

KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

wow, you are quick.
Well, the number plate can be easily produced here at a local manufacturer.
TF 201 needs to be sourced, you have 1 right Ian ?

Also please take a re-look at the bumper in USJ 1795, Is is original ?

Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'll check my TF201 srtock tonight!

I was wondering about that bumper - it looks correct with the curled ends, except I can't quite see if it has the two grooves (filled with black paint) along its length. Perhaps it was locally made to the original pattern but not grooved? You can clearly see the two grooves on the pics of KR.

Also, the original came in two pieces with a thin oval steel cover plate hiding the join in the middle. These bumpers are not easy to find, and if yours is generally the corrrect style and shape, having been copied from an original, I'd be tempted to have it chromed and go with it. You could even paint the two blak lines on it if you had a steady hand!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the rear bumper on Eric Mouser's saloon - clearly showing the correct bumper. And I see you have the correct bumper on the front of your car.

Correction to my earlier post - the number plate hangs from the bumper on the OHC models, as can be seen here, and from the chassis tie-rod on the SV models which generally didn't have bumpers.